1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Change handwriting keyboard on note 4 to note 2 keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andyscarcliffe, Jan 25, 2019.

1. andyscarcliffe

Change handwriting keyboard on note 4 to note 2 keyboard?
    I dislike the linear handwriting recognition keyboard in Note 4. I've seen videos of the note 2 handwriting keyboard and like the look of it. It's similar to the google one which lets you write 2 or three lines, then it recognises them. (I like the google one, but it keeps telling me it can't do the online recognition. Which means the recognition is much less accurate). Can I somehow download the app for the N2 keyboard, or even flash the N2 rom on my N4? Any thoughts?

2. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Flashing a ROM that isn't an exact match for your model will typically be problematic. At best you'll encounter an unreliable device that will have some basic functions no longer working (i.e. no audio or the camera won't work) , or you'll just soft-brick your Note requiring you to re-flash with a correct ROM, or worst-case you hard-brick your device. ROMs are not interchangeable.

Regarding the handwriting keyboard on your Note 4, that's a pretty generic reference. Please state just which keyboard app.
    If it's the Gboard app as an example, it might be more of an issue with version numbers of the app, not necessarily which version of Android.

3. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Hi, have you had a look at Swiftkey keyboard, it might do what you want, and it is a vast improvement on the bog standard one. Phil

4. andyscarcliffe

Flashing a ROM that isn't an exact match for your model will typically be problematic. At best you'll encounter an unreliable device that will have some basic functions no longer working (i.e. no audio or the camera won't work) , or you'll just soft-brick your Note requiring you to re-flash with a correct ROM, or worst-case you hard-brick your device. ROMs are not interchangeable.

Regarding the handwriting keyboard on your Note 4, that's a pretty generic reference. Please state just which keyboard app.
    If it's the Gboard app as an example, it might be more of an issue with version numbers of the app, not necessarily which version of Android.

- yes I thought that might be dodgy. I've been using the stock samsung keyboard handwriting facility. It's okay but I find it takes a while to recognise, and you can't speed it up. I found the Gboard one less accurate than the Google one., But, as I said, the google one for some reason won't go onto the web to do the recognising. Every so often it will go onto the web and its fast and accurate. But it seldom manages to. It's not internet connection either because I've tried it with a Huawei and that works. I like the Note2 keyboard because it lets you write a couple of lines instead of one long single line.

5. andyscarcliffe

I haven't tried swiftkey. will do - although some posts say it only recognises chinese language - maybe they were old posts.

6. philayl

philayl Android Expert

It is multilingual, I use it and I don't know Chinese. Phil

7. andyscarcliffe

Hi. To double check - you realise I'm wanting handwriting recognition? I've downloaded the swiftkey keyboard and I can't see where I can use handwriting recognition using a stylus.

8. philayl

philayl Android Expert

No, didn't realise you wee using a stylus, I have never tried this. Phil

9. svim

svim Extreme Android User

In the case where it may be an app version issue, try installing the Gboard app again (still not sure what you're referring to with '...the Google one' as Gboard is Google's keyboard app), add in the 'Handwriting' keyboard, (see item 6 in link below) and give it another test. The app has been updated a few times over the years and perhaps the handwriting capability has been improved.
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/3048523/android/android-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews