• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Change LED Color?

There is an app on the market called "Light Flow" that I played around with. It will let you change your notification colors to blue if you'd like.

Setting the color to White in the app has an odd effect though. The LED flash is red, but it seems to use the App's flash speed setting properly, so it flashes very fast. This could be a solution for people who want a faster flashing LED and don't mind the red color.

In the end, I was disappointed that the phone is limited to red and blue. I mean how hard is it to program more colors? I'm happy we have an LED at all, but it certainly seems like it was an afterthought.

Sprint: Hey can you stick an LED on our version?

Samsung: Sure! *whispers to engineer* (Just stick something on there fast with a couple colors ... don't spend a lot of time on it)

Upvote 0
Hey all, I accidentally discovered a momentary PURPLE flash. *while the phone was charging* I held down the hardware power button until the phone turned off (about 7 seconds) and at one point I saw purple for just a brief moment.

Hopefully this means a developer will be able to get purple (and a faster blink rate).

Unrelated-is there a way to set up my account so I get notified by email when a thread I start/contribute to changes? thanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Im pretty sure individual leds can only have one frequency (color) so im assuming there are two leds, one blue and one red.
thus there should be some way to get a puple color (red+blue) with root access. On my Tmobile g1 there was an app to change the led notification colors and blink rates. However I doubt that the brightness will be able to be increased, I think leds have a fixed brightness. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0
LEDs can be multiple colors. Most complex one I've seen is a 5 color. Most common micro-LEDS ( the tiny circuit board mounted ones) are 2 & 3 color . Flow current one way, get a blue light. Flow of current the other way, get red light. Flow current on both legs get a purple light. (red light+blue light). :hope that helps in determining how the software controls the led. just a matter of figuring what triggers current to flow on both legs of the led, to get a purple light.

Upvote 0
If You have whatsapp you can change the led from green red blue cyan magenta yellow and white - so it makes no sense why we can't just change it to any of these colours in the settings on Samsung s3.

If anyone figures it out please let me know :)
AFAIK the off-screen notification LED lamp is capable of showing a couple of colors, but isn't a true full color RGB device like the screen. Each color is a separate physical LED device, with all of them shining through the same window. Just because they're there doesn't mean that the phone has the control logic (ie. DMX) to do what you want.

It might be possible to hack the Linux kernel to allow a user mode program to try to provide DMX-like functions. If you want it enough to ask the various Android hackers to include it in their projects, go to the forums they haunt and start lobbying for it. Sometimes all you need to do is ask. No guarantee, of course.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones