1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Change Lock Sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dkloss28, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Dkloss28

Dkloss28 Lurker
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    I have perm rooted the Mytouch 4G and when I had it as a temp root I was able to run some commands in terminal and copy the lock sound over to the system/media/audio/ui and it worked great but when rebooted the root was lost. After that I perm rooted the phone now my issue is I cant remember or find the commands I typed in terminal to copy it over. I have tried to use root explorer but I am only able to mount the system folder and not the rest of it, so when I try to copy the file over it tells me the folder is a read only folder.

I have put this on the XDA site and still nothing, I would be much appreciated if someone might know how I can get this done

Thank You
    Don

Advertisement

2. gohausmachine

gohausmachine Well-Known Member
    None

Thats odd, I wish I could help you but I don't really have an interest in using lock sounds (the ones on the sidekick drove me mad in two hours). I do recall seeing the options for lock sounds somewhere in the menu. But you're trying to figure out how to move audio files to the lock sounds file correct?

3. gohausmachine

None

Ok I gotcha now sorry just dug through the phone a little bit. Use sufbs and you can move sounds into the system/media/audio/ui. Perhaps this will help you. I can't remember but I think sufbs costs a dollar or two but it's by far my favorite system root explorer.

4. Dkloss28

Dkloss28 Lurker
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    Sorry for not responding to the post but after hours of trying things I found out the version of root explorer was bad because I installed the latest one and I was able to set the folder r/w and move over the file

Thank you

5. gohausmachine

None

Ok I'm glad you figured it out. I'm just curious to know now, how do you set lock sounds and such I may start playing around with them since I can actually customize it more than that old sidekick I mentioned. Or if not it's just useful to have some extra knowledge ya know

6. Dkloss28

Dkloss28 Lurker
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    The only thing you would need to do is convert a sound file to a .ogg extension, and then copy it over and rename it to the filename you want to replace and then use root explorer to copy it over.

I was able to take a closing door sound and convert that into the file and move it over after I got the new root explorer.

The UI files are in /system/media/audio/ui and there are the names you would need to use, im going to mess around with the sounds a little bit more to see what I can do

Thanks for your help by the way

gohausmachine likes this.
  7. gohausmachine

None

Ok I appreciate it. Like I said I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I've got a lot of reading ahead of me but I plan on learning how to create apps for Android, and it never hurts to increase knowledge of basic things.

One thing I find interesting is that I feel like I know a good bit about these phones but every once in a while I see something like this come up and realize I don't know it. The only reason is because when I noticed the option to use this I just blew past it and never gave it a second thought, but now that I think about it I can have a lot of fun with lock sounds.