• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Change notification fonts/images?

jkc120

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
El Dorado Hills, CA
One of the things I really miss from Cyanogenmod7 and my brief time with the Nexus is the AOSP notification area. I just really am not a fan of the Sense icons/fonts/etc in the notification bar. The notification pulldown itself I don't have too many issues with (other than it sometimes being sluggish to pull down - haven't nailed that down yet).

I was just hoping there was possibly a way to mimic CM7's notifications or some way to theme it? My bootloader is unlocked and I'm permarooted, but I get the feeling the notifications are baked into the system UI and there may be no way to replace or theme it. But I figured I would ask anyway :)

If this isn't possible with GB, is there any hope this will be possible in the Sense-based ICS once we get it?

One of the things I really miss from Cyanogenmod7 and my brief time with the Nexus is the AOSP notification area. I just really am not a fan of the Sense icons/fonts/etc in the notification bar. The notification pulldown itself I don't have too many issues with (other than it sometimes being sluggish to pull down - haven't nailed that down yet).

I was just hoping there was possibly a way to mimic CM7's notifications or some way to theme it? My bootloader is unlocked and I'm permarooted, but I get the feeling the notifications are baked into the system UI and there may be no way to replace or theme it. But I figured I would ask anyway :)

If this isn't possible with GB, is there any hope this will be possible in the Sense-based ICS once we get it?

The notification bar icons can definitely be themed. If fact, just about anything can be themed from systemUI if I'm not mistaken. However, you need to be on a deodexed rom. There are many out there. They can all be found here:

Rezound Android Development - xda-developers

I'm currently running Ineffabilis by Chingy and Newtoroot, which allows you to change a few things like system fonts and remove the recent apps listing from the notifcation pulldown (which should get rid of the lag you are seeing). The only thing is, if you want to change the font in the notification bar, you have to change the font for the whole system. I did this and am using the same font as ICS (roboto).

However, most roms are use stock images so you'll probably have to wait until someone creates themes for these roms that have the icon changes you want. I'm sure there are folks working on an ICS theme for some of these roms. If you're the adventurous type, you can always got to the Ultimate Online Theme Kitchen and try your hand at theming the stuff you want yourself:

UOT Kitchen

Just make sure to read the "How To" tab before taking the leap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones