• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change ringtone according to caller id

look2

Lurker
Jul 20, 2011
Sweden
I'm looking for an app that can change ringtone depending on the caller id.

I'm using my phone both at work and private, so i would like to assign different ringtones depending on numer series.

If someone calls from 0872***** i want "ringtone 1"
if someone calls from a number not starting with a 0 i want "ringtone 1"

and for all other calls I want the default ringtone settings. is there someway to do this?

Depending on your device, Tasker may be able to do this. On some devices, once a call comes in, Tasker seems unable to affect the ringtone, but on others it works fine.

Tasker would allow you to match against a number pattern, and change the ringtone accordingly. You can get a 7-day free trial at the developer's web site.

If you download Tasker and check it out for a bit, you'll understand the following better, but you would want to do something like this:

Profile1: Set Ringtone
Context: Phone Ringing
Task:
If %CNUM matches 0872*/!0*
Default Ringtone [Type:Ringer, Sound:Ringer1]
Else
Default Ringtone [Type:Ringer, Sound:Ringer2]
End

Any time the phone rings, if the calling number begins with 0872, or begins with something other than zero, Ringer1 will be used. Otherwise, the Ringer2 will be used.

Reactions: look2
Upvote 0
@UncleMike

Thank you for your fast reply, I will try as soon as possible. However, I do have some questions, to make the solution to fit my needs better. I have tasker installed, so there is no problem to test. I have tried with tasker, but in a different way...

Well, is it possible to do it this way instead?
Task:
endIF

I was thinking this way.
I have some groups, with there own signal assign, when using your solution, if the caller ID is not 0872**** or 0**** ringer 2 will be used and my group ringtone will be ignored?

anyway, I will try booth solutions. If i want to add mor numbers using "ringtone1" is it just to add them into the if string? like "If %CNUM matches 0872*/!0*/03145*/02132* " and so on ?

Upvote 0
I just scanned through the post... but I think I would take your idea to the app suggestion thread...

I know I would use an app that you could set up catagories and put a different ringtone to that catagory... then when a number came in .. say it be for you a work number then all you could have to do is place it in the work catagory... then you could have friend... family... what ever other catagories you would want... you could also go into your settings and turn the notification on and off for other catagories...

I've never used Tasker... this might even be somewhat like it... but it would be a terrific idea for an app...

Sorry for feeling like I've high jacked your thread... but I just wanted to say that this is a really good idea for those that use their smartphones for both business and pleasure...

Upvote 0
Depending on your device, Tasker may be able to do this. On some devices, once a call comes in, Tasker seems unable to affect the ringtone, but on others it works fine.

If Tasker can't intercept the ringtone on your phone, you can set the global ringtone to silent, and then use Tasker to play a media sound based on the incoming number. Not sure of details like making it stop when you pick up but I think that is doable.

Upvote 0
@am78
I've tried to ask on some forums for someone to develop an app that does this, but noone seemes to be interesting. I get replys like "use the built in groups" and things like that.
But I do work on a "big" company. With aout 2000 employees, so I can't add them all to my adressbok and put them in the "buisness" category.

I work at the it deparrtment, so i get alot of calls from people every day, so the plan is that the phone will check if the incomming number is in the range that the company use and if true it will use a speciall ringtone, if not true, it will use the default settings.

If you have the time, and the skills to make an app that can do this i would be very greatfull, i think i can get it to work with tasker, but i won't be a "good" or nice solution.

Upvote 0
@UncleMike

Thank you for your fast reply, I will try as soon as possible. However, I do have some questions, to make the solution to fit my needs better. I have tasker installed, so there is no problem to test. I have tried with tasker, but in a different way...

Well, is it possible to do it this way instead?
Task:
endIF

I was thinking this way.
I have some groups, with there own signal assign, when using your solution, if the caller ID is not 0872**** or 0**** ringer 2 will be used and my group ringtone will be ignored?

anyway, I will try booth solutions. If i want to add mor numbers using "ringtone1" is it just to add them into the if string? like "If %CNUM matches 0872*/!0*/03145*/02132* " and so on ?

I don't think it will ignore your group setting as it just changes the default.

Upvote 0
@UncleMike
It's kind of working now, when someone is calling from 0872 it's ringtone 1 but it won't work when someone is calling from a number that's not starts with a 0, so when someone is calling from an internal number like 36107 is the default ringtone.

Hmmm, I got to happy, it won't work, so I guess that I can't do this on my device with tasker :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones