• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Change signal bar?

jengler77

Dec 17, 2011
I have been messing around with UOT Kitchen making some themes. However, I can't figure out why the signal bar stays the same as the rom default. Blue or Sleipnir and green for others. I am uploading the framework-res and systemUI files for the rom I am running. When I flash the zip in CWM recovery, it applies all but the signal bar, which looks really stupid when your theme is white, orange, red or something.

Is this just the way it is or am I missing something? If has been covered, I apoligize. I see other themes posted that it does change.

I have been messing around with UOT Kitchen making some themes. However, I can't figure out why the signal bar stays the same as the rom default. Blue or Sleipnir and green for others. I am uploading the framework-res and systemUI files for the rom I am running. When I flash the zip in CWM recovery, it applies all but the signal bar, which looks really stupid when your theme is white, orange, red or something.

Is this just the way it is or am I missing something? If has been covered, I apoligize. I see other themes posted that it does change.

If you're simply editing framework-res in /system/framework, the signal bars you're looking for aren't in there. The signal bars in framework-res are as follows:
  • stat_sys_r_signal_0_cdma.png through stat_sys_r_signal_4_cdma.png
  • stat_sys_ra_signal_0_cdma.png through stat_sys_ra_signal_4_cdma.png
  • stat_sys_signal_0_cdma.png through stat_sys_signal_4_cdma.png
  • stat_sys_signal_evdo_0.png through stat_sys_signal_evdo_4.png
  • zz_stat_sys_signal_5_cdma.png
And as far as I know, none of those are being used by the phone at any time. The signal bars you're looking for, I believe, are in SystemUI in /system/app:
  • sprint_stat_sys_airplane_mode.png
  • sprint_stat_sys_no_service.png
  • sprint_stat_sys_r_signal_0_green_cdma.png through sprint_stat_sys_signal_6_white_cdma.png (if listed alphabetically, this will cover several images)
  • stat_sys_r_signal_0.png through stat_sys_r_signal_4_fully.png (some Sleipnir and ICS Elite signal bars)
  • stat_sys_signal_0.png through stat_sys_signal_4_fully.png (the rest of Sleipnir and ICS Elite's signal bars)
  • stat_sys_signal_null.png
  • zz_stat_sys_r_signal_5.png
  • zz_stat_sys_signal_5.png
In all cases, these files are located in the /res/drawable-mdpi folder of both the framework-res and SystemUI .apks.

Now, the other thing could be the dalvik-cache, are you wiping it before flashing the .zip in CWM? If not, you could always consider adding these lines into the updater-script in META-INF (only edit scripts with Notepad++ or something similar, not with regular Notepad) so that the installer will wipe the dalvik-cache for you:

Code:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p13", "/data");
delete_recursive("/data/dalvik-cache");
unmount("/data");

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Ok, Thanks Artine, so if it is systemUI.APK or framework-res.APK, which is what I upload to UOT Kitchen... It should change, right? I will have to try again.

I search for other online theme makers and didn't see much, are there any others besides UOT Kitchen that are better?

For editing the relevant signal bars, use a deodexed SystemUI.apk. UOT is the top one, it seems, having both been touted highly throughout XDA as far as I can tell, and in these forums, and by AndroidPolice. Though nothing beats custom via image editing software.

Also could be rather your rom is odex or deodex. Ones easier to theme then the other.

Deodex is the one that is much easier to theme, because it's completely compressed. Odex is partially decompressed, allowing the phone to not use as many resources to completely decompress the .apk before running it (which is why it's so useful for system apps).

Upvote 0
Deodex is the one that is much easier to theme, because it's completely compressed. Odex is partially decompressed, allowing the phone to not use as many resources to completely decompress the .apk before running it (which is why it's so useful for system apps).

What is Sleipnir deodex or odex, the descriptoin says "Deodexed, and self-odexing post-install for end-user speed." Just about to flash the newest one.

Upvote 0
What is Sleipnir deodex or odex, the descriptoin says "Deodexed, and self-odexing post-install for end-user speed." Just about to flash the newest one.

It's exactly that. When you download it, it's deodexed. When you install it, it self-odexes the system apps for greater speed for you guys. If you're going to theme, open the .zip with WinRAR on a default compression level of Normal, navigate to /system/app and extract the SystemUI.apk somewhere if you want to edit it in UOT or something else :)

Reactions: jengler77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones