• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Change the Dialer

you really like the vanilla dialer? even though it's a pain in the ass to look up contacts? I'm not a sense fan but they got the dialer right. you just start typing their name and it finds it for you, instead of clicking the People tab, opening your keyboard, typing their name blah blah.

When I'm running a vanilla rom I like to install Dialer One. I'm sure there are other dialers out there but this is the only one I'm familiar with. looks better than HTC's dialer, but still has the convenient features of the HTC dialer

Upvote 0
you really like the vanilla dialer? even though it's a pain in the ass to look up contacts? I'm not a sense fan but they got the dialer right. you just start typing their name and it finds it for you, instead of clicking the People tab, opening your keyboard, typing their name blah blah.

When I'm running a vanilla rom I like to install Dialer One. I'm sure there are other dialers out there but this is the only one I'm familiar with. looks better than HTC's dialer, but still has the convenient features of the HTC dialer

I don't disagree with you about the Sense dialer, except the fact that if you don't dial in the area code, it won't pull up the contact. That right there is why I'm liking the vanilla dialer better. I will have to look at Dialer One. I haven't seen that one yet. I guess it all boils down to personal preference, I just am fond of the contact showing up when I dial the base number, not the full one. Thanks for the thought on Dialer One!

Upvote 0
I don't disagree with you about the Sense dialer, except the fact that if you don't dial in the area code, it won't pull up the contact. That right there is why I'm liking the vanilla dialer better. I will have to look at Dialer One. I haven't seen that one yet. I guess it all boils down to personal preference, I just am fond of the contact showing up when I dial the base number, not the full one. Thanks for the thought on Dialer One!

Why would you need the area when you can start typing the persons NAME and it will pull up their number?

Oh yeah, to answer your question, just pull the Vanilla dialer from a Vanilla ROM and adb push it over to your system/app folder and remove your HtcDialer.apk from your /system/app folder. Easy as pie!

Upvote 0
Mainly because I have many contacts with the same name. So if I was to type in Bob for example, there are 4 in my address book, each with a couple of numbers, so I have to get into the last name before I get to the person. Sometimes that is rather annoying. Same goes for multiple people with the same last name.

Upvote 0
Mainly because I have many contacts with the same name. So if I was to type in Bob for example, there are 4 in my address book, each with a couple of numbers, so I have to get into the last name before I get to the person. Sometimes that is rather annoying. Same goes for multiple people with the same last name.

I just checked and if you typed in Bob, it brings up all Bob's in my contact list. Then you can just hide the dialer and choose the one you want. *shrugs* Definitely to each his own. If you get ahold of the vanilla dialer can you send it over my way? I'm curious as to what the Vanilla dialer looks like.

Upvote 0
Sure thing Reyes, as soon as I figure out how to pull it/put into another ROM, I'll send it your way.

Well, I downloaded a VAnilla ROM and it's known as "Contacts.apk" from what I read. I pulled that apk from the ROM, adb pushed it but it wouldn't open. *shrugs*

From what I was reading you need more than just the dialer and a few others things are different leaving in imcompatible with sense but I am not 100% sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones