1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Change to Alltel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by elemdai, May 15, 2011.

1. elemdai

elemdai Lurker

Hey everyone! I've checked out several sites and several threads and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm on Alltel and I was looking at the HTC Evo Shift 4G. I've never rooted before, but I understand the steps. What I'm not sure about is whether or not it's possible to change the Shift from Sprint to Alltel by rooting. If so, do you just specify a provider after you root or do you have to load a specific rom. Just looking to clear things up before I risk the $200 to try it without knowing for sure.

Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. crump

crump Well-Known Member

It's been done with the Droid Eris and The OG Evo, not sure about the legality of it, but I'm sure it can be done. Search over at HoFo for Eris on Altell and I think you'll find some good info. You may not have full functionality of the phone though, you may lose mms and will probably lose 4G.

3. elemdai

elemdai Lurker

Thanks for the reply. I searched HoFo like you suggested, but I didn't quite find what I'm looking for. I've found the process online for perm-rooting the Shift, but what I'm trying to figure out is specifically what you do in the rooting process to specify a carrier (or if rooting is even what you're supposed to do to achieve this). I wasn't sure if it was specific to different phones, so I chose the Shift forum just to be safe.

EDIT: Let me rephrase my question... Is it possible to switch the HTC Evo Shift 4G from its default service provider of Sprint to my network, being Alltel? If so, could someone tell me the basic idea and I'd be happy to do the rest of the research. I'm not asking anyone to hold my hand through the process, but I don't know if I would root it, unlock it, flash it, or if I am able to do it at all. I really appreciate ANY positive feedback.

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews