1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Changed E Mail password on PC not on devices

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by David Long 3, Jan 9, 2014.

1. David Long 3

David Long 3 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi,
    I lost my Samsung S4. I use the E Mail App for my Hotmail. So I changed my Hotmail password on my Laptop thinking that if anybody has obtained my S4 then at least they would not be able to send or receive new E Mails. Tested it out on my Galaxy Tab, which was still able to receive new test E mails in Hotmail even though I had not changed the password on my Samsung Tab. Tried 1)restarting Samsung Tab 2)closing the E mail app and re-opening the E Mail app , but even then it could receive new test e mails without me updating the password.

Actually had similar problem with Dropbox as did not want any possible thief to see my photos, but the solution in Dropbox is to go to the PC and disable connected devices. No such equivalent in Hotmail.

Was able to change password in G Mail though, and then my Galaxy Tab could not see new mails without updating the password, which is what I had hoped would happen with hotmaiil.

Any ideas for Hotmail, sorry such a long description for my first posting

Advertisement

2. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    I know AOL stops working if you change the password. It's peculiar that Hotmail doesn't. I'd contact Microsoft about it (do they still own hotmail?).

3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    My guess is that if you restart the device, hotmail will stop working. My reasoning is that hotmail (and other things with logins) will continue to work without a restart because the device hasn't logged out and attempted to log in again.

4. David Long 3

David Long 3 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Yes, that is what I thought, so I restarted the device and it still received e mails. So then I thought that even though I restated the device, maybe it still kept the application open whilst shutdown, so I the closed the E mail application and still it worked. Actua
    Eventually I deleted the E Mail account on the device and then re-created it which of course required a new password.
    But of course, any thief of my S4 is not going to do that.

5. David Long 3

David Long 3 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    I should have said I closed the E Mail application by holding the home button and then closing "recently used applications". I then opened it again and it was still able to receive new E Mails even though I had never given it the new password.