• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changed phone, need to get all my sms back

aboltenko

Lurker
Jun 8, 2016
Is there any way to repost all my old sms back now that my phone is replaced and my photos were not copied, but they were attached to the previous sms that were not copied either. Sloppy job at tmobile kiosk. Is there an external server where they're stored?

What was your previous phone and do you still have it?

Assuming the old one was was an Android Phone and the new one is as well, you could get the old messages off the old phone. That's if it wasn't factory reset already. SMS messages are stored in a protected database in the system partition and don't backup to the cloud unless you have an app that does that for you.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
What was your previous phone and do you still have it?

Assuming the old was was an Android Phone and the new one is as well, you could get the old messages off the old phone. That's if it wasn't factory reset already. SMS messages are stored in a protected database in the system partition and don't backup tot he cloud unless you have an app that does that for you.
It was the same Samsung phone but it was sent back already. Is there an offline server same as in email where they are stored? They set up the new phone at tmobile kiosk and my friend didn't check the photos that have not been transferred. All the photos were attached to sms so I thought she can still retrieve them and reload the photos.

Upvote 0
You should have her set up some kind of file backup solution as soon as possible on her new phone so things files like photos get automatically backed up/synced to an online service. Just some suggestions:
If she's using a lot of other Google services, the Google Photos app will blend right in,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en
or if she's a heavy Windows user the OneDrive app is tightly integrated into that environment.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en
Dropbox is good third-party option with a long history of active development and support, and it mixes well with different operating systems.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android&hl=en

Reactions: aboltenko
Upvote 0
If it's set up to do that.

I'm not sure of defaults because I always disable such stuff (Dropbox only get to see what I explicitly choose). But with my message app automatically saving pictures to "the gallery" (i.e. somewhere that an automated picture backup would have access) is an option rather than a default.

So worth checking if you have any accounts with any cloud services, because something might have been done by default without the owner realising, but no promises.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones