1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Changes to Google contacts in Gmail don't update on phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BBOOZE, Oct 20, 2010.

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I've seen plenty of discussion on this but no concrete solutions so here goes.

I have a T-Mobile G2 using Android 2.2.

Up to this point I've been able to add/modify contacts on my phone and have them update with My Contacts in Gmail. This part of it works perfectly.

However, I just made a bunch of modifications to my contacts using Gmail on the desktop but none of the changes are updated to my phone. I have my gmail account on my phone set to sync contacts so I'm not sure what is going on.

Oddly, changes I make in Gmail to a contact (change name, for instance) update my phone just fine but NEW contacts I create in Gmail don't seem to get updated on my phone.

Advertisement

2. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Oh crap I figured it out just as I posted this.

I've been separating my contacts for those that are husband/wife. Before, I had them as just one contact (i.e. Joe and Jane Smith) with all their phone numbers and emails in there. But I find that cumbersome so I've been splitting Joe and Jane into two different contacts. The mistake I made when I created a "Jane" contact is that I never deleted her phone number from the "Joe" contact (which had previously been a combination of the two). So I guess having the same number in two contacts confused Google so it kept the original. As soon as I deleted Jane's phone number from Joe's contact, Jane showed up in my phone contacts.

Solved!

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Good job on figuring it out!

4. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Cellular Provider- Customer Service
    Vancouver
    BBOOZE 1, Technology 0 :)

5. sigma pi

sigma pi Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Hi first post :D

I got the CSV file off my old phone and put it into google contacts on my gmail.

I set it to sync with the G2. Names have come in but no numbers :( what did i do wrong?

6. sigma pi

sigma pi Member

Oct 23, 2010
    never mind all the numbers are not up top on the contact page. They are all on the bottom. I have to go through every one to put them at the top -______-

Tags: