1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Changing apps default installation destination

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Ghostio, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Ghostio

Ghostio Guest

I have a hip street flare 2 having issues with installing ANY NEW APPS at all... It's been factory reset & yet memory is still "full"... Cannot move old or install new on external sdcard!!! Android 4.1.1 HALP!!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Moving apps to SD (which only ever moved part of the app) isn't supported in that version of Android (unless the manufacturer has hacked the feature back in). So if when you look at a downloaded app in Settings > Apps > Downloaded and there isn't a "move to sd" button, there's no way of doing it without rooting the device.

You cannot move pre-installed apps anyway, but equally they live in a different partition so aren't using "your" space. App data do however use space, so if your pre-installed apps are using a lot of data storage that could be a problem. Best to check that: Settings > Apps > All, sort by size, then look at big ones and see how much data they are using. Beware that in android 4.1 "internal" SD card and your internal storage are the same thing, so if an app has a lot of stuff stored in a folder there that may be contributing to the problem.

3. Just1Ghost

Just1Ghost Lurker

thanks for the reply, Hadron, nice Rimmer avatar! My big question (that was me "ghostio" before I registered) is, how can the tablets memory be "full" when I've restored it to factory settings?!? Internal memory is entirely maxed out!!! I can't install a single damn thing! Tres annoying... Thanks in advance, Hadron... :-D

4. Just1Ghost

Just1Ghost Lurker

Hullo? Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me...