1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

changing baseband possible??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by qandres12, Aug 12, 2012.

1. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

can anyone point me in the right direction in the phone files as to where i might find the files that contain the baseband info. im looking to twinker with them a little or see if they can be changed

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. try build.prop?
    what is a baseband anyways?

Sent from my Samsung Admire Running P.U.T.U 2.2

3. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

i meant baseband lol spelling error, and ive checked the build prop but nothing there sticks out to me. from reading up i incline to believe that the baseband is located with the radio. but i dont know where to look

4. Decompile stock?

Sent from my Samsung Admire Running P.U.T.U 2.2

5. KageBeast

KageBeast Android Expert

Just taking a guess but I don't think you can change your baseband

6. SacredBloodlin

SacredBloodlin Android Enthusiast

Correct, the baseband cannot be changed, it is part of the hardware, not software.

7. RetroDelete

RetroDelete Android Enthusiast

Nope, that's incorrect. When you update to the Official 2.3.6 Your baseband changes from EH02 to FF18

8. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

exactly and i did the upgrade and restored back with a nandroid and it keeps the FF18. i just want to switch to EH02 even its just just renaming so it displays as BASEBAND: S:R720.06 xEH02 instead of xFF18

9. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

OMG....

The baseband is controlled by the radio which can be updated via firmware. The radio shyt resides on its own partition and unless you know wtf you are doing, I dont suggest messing with em as if you dont do it right you can be looking a a purdy lil doorstop. ;)

10. Thrombone

Thrombone Guest

The baseband is the version of the AMSS (radio) firmware. As PG said, it's located on it's own partition. And if you want to brick your phone, have fun trying to mess with it.

You can:
    Upgrade the baseband (amss.img in the 2.3.6 update)
    Downgrade the baseband (considering you have an amss backup from 2.3.4)

Other than that, I'd suggest leaving it alone. It's not something to "tinker" with.

11. enigmadroid

enigmadroid Android Enthusiast

Hello. Once you install the software update it flashes the firmware for the radio. There's no easy way to revert back. Perhaps a dev may know how to flash old blob back but there's no layman's way. Reflashing the old software will not downgrade the baseband. I know on iPhony if you saved your blobs you can revert the baseband with a special program.

Attached Files:

12. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

i remember changing some files around that someone posted here when i didnt have my data working in an attempt to get it back. and i changed the build prop and the entire system/etc folder and that changed the basehand to the one in the generic update EJ29 or whatever it was.

edit: i guess the only wway to actually change it would be to use the phone.tar in the return to stock thread in the acs forums by shabby. that changes the radio but then i would have the yellow triangle again... i already ran odin twice testing thing out. if only there was way to reset that counter like with other Samsung phones

13. Lana30

Lana30 Android Enthusiast

So if you have TWRP and Xtersolite 3.31 installed, and the baseband changed to g920F from g920i without knowing what caused it. Is it possible to update or change it to g920i instead of redoing the whole process? What disadvantage can someone have having with the wrong baseband installed? Thank you

14. Lana30

Lana30 Android Enthusiast

Hi, My buddy is using Galaxy S6 g920i, Xtersolite. With TWRP and Xtersolite 3.31 installed, somehow his baseband changed to g920F from g920i out of nowhere. Is it possible to update or change it to g920i instead of redoing the whole process? What disadvantage does he having now with the wrong baseband installed? Thank you.

Samsung Admire Forum

The Samsung Admire release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1600mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews