1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Changing country by switching SIM card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jake55, May 31, 2011.

1. jake55

jake55 Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    I bought my DHD in Hong Kong so all features are loaded but I live in China. (Purchasing here the phones are significantly scaled back). Some of the Android Market Apps are blocked in China which is common (and silly if you ask me). I have a few questions I could really use help with as I am new to Android phones, so pardon my ignorance!

1) Does anyone know if I took my US mobile SIM Card (With T-Mobile USA) and swapped it out for my China Mobile SIM Card, could I access apps available in the USA? Which leads me to.....
    2) Would I need to create a new Google Account for Android Market so i can switch countries?
    3) Would I lose the apps I already have on the device becuase they are associated with the China mobile account?

Any insights here would be much appreciated. Or if you know how to get around the "Great Wall", that would also be appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisement

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Work to live, not the other way round!!
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    This may work - I think it would mean that you'd be paying roaming charges on your US SIM though... unless you were to do any downloading via WIFI. Although you are in China, so the location of your phone may not allow this.

If you swap SIM cards, then I think you'd need to have a gmail account registered to the other SIM... don't know if you can have 2 phones linked to 1 gmail account?

Not sure... as it's the device that has the apps on... think that you wouldn't be able to get updates, as they've not been downloaded with your account associtated with your China SIM.

jake55 likes this.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    There are apps available that allow people to download apps from foreign marketpalces. They work because they send fake information to the market as to which network you are on.

If it works for that app, then it may work if you switched SIMs.

jake55 likes this.
  4. jake55

jake55 Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for your help. I will give it a go and see what I can do.

5. jake55

jake55 Lurker
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thank you very much for your reply. I will swap out the SIM first. I am on Wifi all the time so roaming won't be my issue. I do have VPN set up on the phone and that typically allows me to tunnel out and get what I need on my ipad or computers.