• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing default icons

Faceoff9

Lurker
Dec 31, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm not rooted with anything, however I am running Open Home. I also installed the Windows7 Icon Pack for use. However, I wish to change some of the icons it defaults to when I load them up (particularly the Market icon, which defaults to the Recycle Bin).

Is there a way to do this manually? or do I need to download another software from the market? I see some people mentioned "Better Cut" but I'm unsure if that does what I am asking, or if it is just a replacement for Open Home.

I'm not too savvy poking around the Android OS at the root - so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I use dxtop, rather than Open Home, so not sure of OH's builtin features. Example: in dxtop, when I long-press on any icon, even a folder, a popup appears. One of the options = change icon.

If that doesn't work in your home replacement app, then you'll want to get a 3rd party app: Better Cut or freebie AnyCut. Then search the Market for free "icons pack." Each has a bunch of icons, so you can replace as you see fit. Better Cut & AnyCut need those icon packs to do their magic. (Actually, you could use your own pics, but the packs are easier.)

Try it. If you have any problems, come back and let us know. Happy to help out, as we were all new to this not so long ago.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones