• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing Google Account Password

RawlingsSc

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
Utah
I searched and didn't find a good solid answer.

I want to change my Google account password. I can do that online easily enough, but what will happen with my phone account? In my search I found someone who said it would just prompt for the new password and someone else that said it would factory reset my phone. :eek: So, has anyone here actually done this and what happened?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks much! Worked well once I remembered to change it in HTC Mail too. :rolleyes:

Today Google locked me out of my account until I verified it and changed my password. Don't know how it could have got hacked since I'm careful.

Anyway, with my new password will I have to re-sign in to all of my apps? SMS Backup, GV, etc?

Upvote 0
Today Google locked me out of my account until I verified it and changed my password. Don't know how it could have got hacked since I'm careful.

Anyway, with my new password will I have to re-sign in to all of my apps? SMS Backup, GV, etc?

The only one I had to sign into was HTC Mail. Appbrain uses the phone's google account I think, so it was automatic. I don't use GV nor SMS Backup, so I don't know for sure on those. I would think anything you had to put your password into after installing would need to be changed.

Upvote 0
I guess it's kind of late to respond, but I changed my password just now and at first, when I tried to sync, it wouldn't prompt me so I got worried that I WOULD have to FR. But after a few forced attempts (where it prompted me to enter a captcha), it finally prompted me to "reenter" my password.

Upvote 0
The GMAIL on HTC needs to sync with the GMAIL on the PC to work.

After changing the PC Google GMAIL account password

1. select HTC GMAIL
2. select menu
3. select Refresh - this should indicate a sync error which enables you to enter the new password.
4. If you get the password wrong you are asked to type in a random Google selected word - which may get you no where.

Otherwise.
1. select HTC GMAIL
2. select menu
3. Select Accounts
4. Select menu
5. Select Account settings
6. Under Manage accounts select your ***@gmail.com account
7. Select Sync Gmail to un-tick box
8. Select Sync Gmail to tick box - this will throw up a input password frame if the PC and HTC passwords are not the same.
9. Enter new password and as it worked for me I am supposing it will work for you.

otherwise
Contact HTC direct for an answer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones