• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing HA (home agent) to boost speed / pingtimes

trife

Dec 14, 2009
On the Air Cards there was an control panel you could get to by typing ##DATA in an invisible area. This would bring up hidden settings if you had the MSL code from sprint (master service lock). You could change the "home address" so that you connect locally. Normally when I connect it sends me off to Kansas City Mo (or somewhere in the heartland) but im from California. Shouldn't it connect me to LA or SF? The result is everytime I go to an address it has to jump from me (california) to Kansas then to where ever the server is and that ruins ping times.

Is there anything like this for the EVO or smartphones in general?

Shoot ran outta time gotta check this thread later here is what im talking about Tip: Changing Sprint Home Agent Speeds Up EVDO : EVDOinfo.com

On the Air Cards there was an control panel you could get to by typing ##DATA in an invisible area. This would bring up hidden settings if you had the MSL code from sprint (master service lock). You could change the "home address" so that you connect locally. Normally when I connect it sends me off to Kansas City Mo (or somewhere in the heartland) but im from California. Shouldn't it connect me to LA or SF? The result is everytime I go to an address it has to jump from me (california) to Kansas then to where ever the server is and that ruins ping times.

Is there anything like this for the EVO or smartphones in general?

Shoot ran outta time gotta check this thread later here is what im talking about Tip: Changing Sprint Home Agent Speeds Up EVDO : EVDOinfo.com

Found it (I think?) In dialer, dial: ##DATA# do not hit send. Choose Edit, enter in your MSL. Choose Data Profile. It looks like Primary Home Agent and Second Home Agent is what you want.

My default Primary Home Agent is 255.255.255.255, and my Second Home Agent is 68.28.57.76, which is Anaheim, CA according to your link, which is basically where I am right now.

Upvote 0
Well no, I'm guessing you should change Second Home Agent to whichever city's closest to you.

The primary is suppose to auto set to the closest HA but if you go to speedtest.net it always puts me in Kansas when i Live in cali. I think putting the primary as a near HA would set your HA to a closer city of your choosing instead of the default in the middle of the US.

trying to find an updated list other than that 2007 thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones