• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing icons and removing labels on Sense? Is it possible?

I've been a quiet member for a while, absorbing all the android tech info I can. As someone who isn't as technologically savvy, please pardon this question if it has been covered already - or point me to the right forum. I am trying to personalize my evo and my only issue right now are the icons. I so admire the minimalistic icons I have seen on some screen without the text - and wondered if there is a way to do this using the sense program. I have launcherpro but do not want to loose my sense widgets and really like what I have so far. I have better cut, folderorganizer lite, and downloaded some icon packs, but when I tried to change some icons, the change was periodic - about 2 seconds - then it reversed back to the old sense icons. This happened when I tried to change the mail icon.

Any help? :eek:

I've been a quiet member for a while, absorbing all the android tech info I can. As someone who isn't as technologically savvy, please pardon this question if it has been covered already - or point me to the right forum. I am trying to personalize my evo and my only issue right now are the icons. I so admire the minimalistic icons I have seen on some screen without the text - and wondered if there is a way to do this using the sense program. I have launcherpro but do not want to loose my sense widgets and really like what I have so far. I have better cut, folderorganizer lite, and downloaded some icon packs, but when I tried to change some icons, the change was periodic - about 2 seconds - then it reversed back to the old sense icons. This happened when I tried to change the mail icon.

Any help? :eek:

Well the good thing is I can verify that this is an issue. The bad thing is that I an not aware of any fix for this. I too have tried different apps to change that mail icon and have not been successful yet. That does seem to be the only one I can't change. Now, using launcher pro I figured out I can put the icon on the launcher bar and then change it there and it seems to stick.

I am sure someone out there knows what you have to do to change that icon but....maybe someone will share with us.

Reactions: Blessing
Upvote 0
Dig deaper into folder organizer. Ie use the far right setting...shortcuts and create customs shortcuts to the apps and customize the icon.

It does so much more than what people give it credit for

damn, so far so good. I tried changing the mail icon and it seems to stick!!! Thanks for the info Ed you are my new hero!!!! lol :D

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Not sure if its a function of LP free or if its just for the plus edition but if you go into Preferences -> Appearance settings there should be a check box for "Hide Icon Labels". Check that and all the labels should go away.

within launcher pro if you are using that as the default home yes...however if someone is using sense as their home this does nothing.

I haven't had much sleep and was unclear of which home the op is using

Upvote 0
within launcher pro if you are using that as the default home yes...however if someone is using sense as their home this does nothing.

I haven't had much sleep and was unclear of which home the op is using

Ed: Point taken in regards to not knowing which Home the OP is using.

Blessing: I didnt want to make the jump to LP either due to the loss of Sense widgets but there are others that are similar/ better then sense.

LP+ is worth the money if your able to afford the few bucks. I want to say it was 2 or 3 bucks a few months back so im not sure if its been raised at all, be he does have updates on a regular basis so your money isnt being wasted.

At the moment the widgets for LP+ are (People, Bookmarks, Calendar, Messaging, Twitter, Facebook, Friends) and they are spitting images of Sense widgets.

For the clock/ weather app you can use Fancy Widget for Free or pay a buck for Beautiful Widgets (Which you can customize a bit more if im not mistaken - Anything from the weather looks, animations, to the text color and font used)

IMO, LP+ is so much faster, smoother, and has more options available for customization. Everything from the notification bar hiding to the bottom dock icons.

Upvote 0
i have loved lp and folder organ so much that i completely deleted htc sense from the phone. absolutely love it. ....add widget locker into the mix and it's awesome.

i need to get the paid versions of lp and fi....whole new world of customization

Blessing: I didnt want to make the jump to LP either due to the loss of Sense widgets but there are others that are similar/ better then sense.

LP+ is worth the money if your able to afford the few bucks. I want to say it was 2 or 3 bucks a few months back so im not sure if its been raised at all, be he does have updates on a regular basis so your money isnt being wasted.

At the moment the widgets for LP+ are (People, Bookmarks, Calendar, Messaging, Twitter, Facebook, Friends) and they are spitting images of Sense widgets.

For the clock/ weather app you can use Fancy Widget for Free or pay a buck for Beautiful Widgets (Which you can customize a bit more if im not mistaken - Anything from the weather looks, animations, to the text color and font used)

IMO, LP+ is so much faster, smoother, and has more options available for customization. Everything from the notification bar hiding to the bottom dock icons.

Upvote 0

Love LP+ for these very reasons. The widgets in the paid version more than make up for the ones in Sense, and you get the icon and removing labels functions as well as a ton of other ways to customize.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones