1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Changing ROMs without losing my line+3g?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kloster18, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Kloster18

Kloster18 Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Alright sooooo
    I bought a Droid X from Verizon the day it came out and recently moved to Mexico.
    I managed to find a "flasher" who used QPST and a few other programs to configure the radio or something like that. I'm assuming people have to do something similar whenever they switch carriers elsewhere in the world.

Anyways, I asked this guy if I could install any other ROM without losing configuration and he replied "You can, just make sure the ROMs you install don't use Verizon's baseband or you'll lose all your data".

So I've got a couple of questions:
    1. How can I backup the information the flasher put in my phone?
    2. How can I check if a ROM I want to install is using Verizon's baseband?
    3. My baseband is BP_C_01.09.12P, AFAIK this is the same one as Verizons right? If so then wtf is the flasher talking about? I have the same baseband as Verizon and I still have service(3g, phone, txting works).

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement

2. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    The baseband has nothing to do with ROMS. The only thing that effects your baseband is flashing a new operating system, i:e Froyo, gongerbread, etc.

If it's a fully custom ROM, i;e has a custom kernel, then it could effect your settings. But as of now there are no fully custom Roms for the Droid X. All the Roms out for the Droid X are built around the kernel so the baseband will not change.

3. Kloster18

Kloster18 Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Awesome!
    So basically as long as I stay on 2.3.3 GB and use a ROM designed for that version, nothing should change correct?

Thanks for the reply.

4. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    I'm no genius when it comes to kernels but everything I have learned thus far tells me the only way to change your baseband to a different baseband is to, well, go with a new carrier and VZW is the only carrier for the droid x right now.

So your baseband is going to stay the same no matter what Rom you flash. As I said, if we had a way to make custom kernels it could be different. But as far as I know the baseband you have is the only one you will have no matter what Rom you flash.

The Roms we have for our DX's are designed to work for whatever OS you're running. There are Froyo Roms and Gingerbread Roms. As long as you use a Gingerbread Rom you will be fine. The baseband is something only VZW can change.

Kloster18 likes this.
  5. Kloster18

Kloster18 Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks so much for clearing that up.
    I'm gonna flash to Liberty and update this post.

Hopefully everything works out find *fingers crossed*

Installed DX Liberty GB v0.8 and I still have 3G + voice service :D
    Danke doods

6. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Great to hear you got it runnin smooth. One last note for you. Should you ever have to factory reset your phone, or SBF it in this case cause you're running a rom, you will lose your settings and will have to have that guy reprogram it again to work outside your coverage area.