• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changing the Twitter notification sound

Hi, I'd like to change the sound my phone makes when I get a Twitter notification. Currently, it makes the same sound as my text messages (my default sound). It's annoying, because I'm never sure whether I have a text or there's just a Twitter update. I'd like to change it so it makes a different sound, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I've gone into Twitter settings, didn't see it. I've gone into sound settings, and I see the option to turn notifications/notification sounds on/off, but not to actually change the sound. Am I just missing it entirely? I'm using the regular Twitter app.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Jamie

i solved this for the samsung galaxy s6, tmobile, twitter version 5.95.0 by using an alternative method to select the notification sound instead of the default 'media storage'. download 'ES FILE EXPLORER' from the play store and select your mobile ringtone that way. see image below...

Attachments

• tmp_23926-Screenshot_2016-02-13-10-18-22-75547215.png
    tmp_23926-Screenshot_2016-02-13-10-18-22-75547215.png
    427.7 KB · Views: 2,860
Upvote 0
i solved this for the samsung galaxy s6, tmobile, twitter version 5.95.0 by using an alternative method to select the notification sound instead of the default 'media storage'. download 'ES FILE EXPLORER' from the play store and select your mobile ringtone that way. see image below...

OMG dude you are a genius! I registered in this forum just to reply and say huge THANK YOU! I've been frustrated with this for so long, and I also had ES File Explorer installed way back but this never occurred to me. Thanks again!

Reactions: Jammtastic
Upvote 0
Genius indeed! Just to add a few more steps for Android system newbies like me that read this thread later....

It worked well for me when the desired sound file was placed in /storage/emulated/0/Notifications. For example, copying S_Chirps.ogg (birds chriping -- twitter, right?) from /system/media/audio/notifications to that dir, then choosing that file using ES File Explorer the way joeydood described above, did the trick!

Upvote 0
Well, that's great advice, except nowhere in my system is the S_Chirps.ogg file. The weird thing is, I opened my old phone (the one in this original post) and the "chirps" option was in the Twitter notifications menu, yet when I searched the phone for it, even going into the directory mentioned, it's nowhere to be found. Help? Any idea where I can get the sound so I can add it to my phone?

Could one of you possibly post a link to it in this thread, or even attach it somehow?

Upvote 0
Genius indeed! Just to add a few more steps for Android system newbies like me that read this thread later....

It worked well for me when the desired sound file was placed in /storage/emulated/0/Notifications. For example, copying S_Chirps.ogg (birds chriping -- twitter, right?) from /system/media/audio/notifications to that dir, then choosing that file using ES File Explorer the way joeydood described above, did the trick!

Thank you for the detailed explanation, worked great.

Upvote 0
Same Problem
On Twitter I go to the setting for notification and set to preferred ringrone/notification sound. Come out the application (properly) and the notification sound goes straight back to
Default notification sound........
Needless to say this is very Very frustrating. To the point I installed a different Twitter app (not paid to advertise so won't mention the app) would love the "normal" twitter application but due to the above I'm stuck.
Please Please Help.................??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones