1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Changing to a Japanese Carrier

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VectorVise, Jan 9, 2012.

1. VectorVise

VectorVise Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Hey guys, I've got a question right now I have the Sprint Evo 4g rooted and using a custom rom and what not, but I am soon to be stationed in japan, I will not be able to afford an International plan with sprint for 3 years, so it's key that I change to a different cell phone provider....in Japan, is there a way I can do that?

Rephrased: Can I change the service on my Evo from sprint to a japanese phone service?

Advertisement

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    There are people every once in a while on here who ask questions from Asia, but they're versino of the EVO is slightly different. I'm not sure if theres a CDMA carrier over there or not. If so, it should be possible to continue using the same phone

3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    there is a japanese version of the evo, but their software and hboot is slightly different. not sure on how you can port it to another carrier like that. you might want to call the japanese provider and see if they can port your phone onto their carrier.

4. VectorVise

VectorVise Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Gotcha' alright well looks like I'll just admit defeat on this and just get another evo haha

5. VectorVise

VectorVise Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Is there anything I can do to get my US Sprint Evo to work in Okinawa Japan

"For Voice - The handset must be compatible with a Japanese mobile phone network (typically 3G UMTS 2100 MHz or 3G CDMA2000 800 MHz). Compatible handsets may be used via international roaming (check with your home provider for details) or a rental or prepaid SIM card from a Japanese carrier (unlocked handsets only). Alternatively, phones with wireless network (WIFI) connectivity can use internet based telephone services (voip), such as Skype, when connected to a WIFI network.
    For Data - Phones that work in Japan for voice (see above) can also receive and send data (such as e-mails and web content) via international roaming or a rental/prepaid SIM card, but note that the cost for data transfer can easily skyrocket without an appropriate data plan. Alternatively, phones with wireless network (WIFI) connectivity can take advantage of the numerous paid and free wifi hotspots found around the country. See our internet page for more details."
    Cell Phones in Japan

6. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    your evo will work in japan. what you will need to do is call sprint and talk to them about international plans. there are several carriers in japan that support cdma and i think it is kddi. but to get your phone on to their network you will need to go thru sprint.

7. VectorVise

VectorVise Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    When will I need to contact sprint? after I make a plan with them or?

8. ocnbrze

None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    well i would get the info now so that you can coordinate with sprint and kddi so that once you are in japan you can switch or be switched already.

9. VectorVise

VectorVise Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Well I talked with Sprint and they said I couldn't switch to a japanese phone because the evo 4g does not have a SIM Card, however the Evo Design does have one and they said could be switched over. Is this true or? I wouldn't think porting it over wouldn't be that difficult.

Tags: