• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Character strings instead of emojis

Well, when there was a full time programmer working on the app it was a problem, now that there isn't , I doubt it will be fixed in the future. :(
I wish I could help, but Android app programming is outside my scope of ability.

FWIW, now that I know it (the character string issue) is not just affecting me, neither it nor the 'disappearing emoji' issue is a big deal. Really, in life's scheme of things, these are so unimportant. :)

Upvote 0
The app is inserting an unwanted amp; in the input of a Gboard sourced emoji as in almath's case. This is corrupting the format of the decimal Unicode for the appropriate emoji character.

</div>Hey! &amp;#128513;<div class="messageTextEndMarker">&nbsp;</div>

should read:-
</div>Hey! &#128513;<div class="messageTextEndMarker">&nbsp;</div>

similarly

</div>&amp;#128513;&amp;#128513;<br />

should read:-
</div>&#128513;&#128513;<br />

I have replicated the above lines of HTML code in my own website and with the amp; removed the emojis render correctly and with it in, the character string shows the same as on the AF website. This is the case when viewed with Edge, Chrome, and Opera on my laptop and Chrome on my mobile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones