• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charge for GPS?

dougens

Lurker
Jan 18, 2011
Hi there

I am due an upgrade on my phone and want to get the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini.
However, as I understand the phone runs Android (google)
Is this correct?

I am not fussed about the internet for the phone - i.e. email / facebook / myspace and the like but I do need some form of navigation helper.

If I use google maps (like the iPhone app) does this cost me in data roaming the same as any other website?
or
Does the Android system use a different navigation helper app?

Basically, I will be using this app a lot and wondered if there were any deals whereby satnav was free?

If it's not and I have to pay for unlimited data it is crazy pricey.

Thanks for any help / advice.
D

You can always pre-install maps over WiFi with MapDroyd or other mapping programs. Once you do that you will not need data.
Providing that:-

1. You don't get lost or diverted from the area of the map you've downloaded.

2. You do not deviate from your downloaded route for any reason (rest stops, restaurants, places of interest, hotels).

3. You download the correct magnification/resolution for the whole of your journey.

Upvote 0
If I use google maps (like the iPhone app) does this cost me in data roaming the same as any other website?
Data is data. There's no distinguishing email data packets from web browsing data packets from data packets carrying map data for your GPS app (or anything else).

If you're roaming and subject to data roaming fees then you might want to look into nav apps that use locally stored maps. Google Maps Nav does some precaching but it's not really a practical solution if you're frequently out of coverage or travel internationally a lot.

Basically, I will be using this app a lot and wondered if there were any deals whereby satnav was free?

If it's not and I have to pay for unlimited data it is crazy pricey.
There's a difference between paying for the app and paying for the data for the app. What you're asking about sounds like the former while it's actually the latter.

Upvote 0
Providing that:-

1. You don't get lost or diverted from the area of the map you've downloaded.

2. You do not deviate from your downloaded route for any reason (rest stops, restaurants, places of interest, hotels).

3. You download the correct magnification/resolution for the whole of your journey.

No MapDroyd downloads WHOLE maps to your phone. It saves them on the SD card. You pick the states/countries you want saved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones