• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

charge or x2...help me decide

katoom400

Nov 10, 2009
charge or x2...help me decide being on the original droid since launch, ready for an upgrade and considering the droid x2, charge ....I liked the thunderbolt but hear nothing but trouble with the battery life. I don't live in an area that has 4g yet, but I hope to have it within a year, so that is a consideration.

$249 charge: love the screen, and really love the camera! hdmi is nice but 4g could end up being a waste if Verizon doesn't bring it to my area any time soon??? (Northern NJ)

$149 droid x2: nice sturdy build, decent camera but only has 16gb...dual core should make things snappy...no 4g should it become available any time soon (one bonus for the x2 is that I got the essential bundle on sale for $20 including car dock, desk dock, wall and car charges, hdmi cable and 3.5mm cable) if I don't go with the x2 I could certainly use the hdmi cable, car and desk chargers and easily sell the docks for $20)

Seems the Charge is kind of a dog in the processor department. Part of that is their file system, but it is still just basically a Fascinate in a new body with 4G. I have seen the Charge in person and the display is nice, but I can't say I prefer it over the brighter backlit display of my DX. At first I hated the looks of the Charge, but after seeing it in person it isn't that bad. The reports of the awesom camera are a big plus - I use my DX as my camera a lot. Although the app Camera360 has greatly improved the shots I take with the DX, having a top notch camera is nice. Overall, I would probably get the DX2 from everything I have read because having dual core is fairly important to me, and I really like the DX design. That being said, the DX2 seems to have more glitch issues out of the box also - could be dual core Tegra as some of the cause. But I will put my vote for the DX2, although I have had an available upgrade since February, and no phone has been quite good enough to sway me to upgrade from my DX quite yet. DX2 was getting close, but it seems a quite a few bugs are holding it back right now. Maybe I'll change my mind once I see it in person.

Upvote 0
Droid X2 imo is overall better for a few reasons... love the Form factor and premium feel of the X2, processor is industry leading not outdated, Display is easily readable outside and bright, and blur is actually usable now and looks great. The $20 bundle was nice aswell! Btw Motorola is also better with software updates.

Upvote 0
I had DX2 as close second runner behind Revolution with good screen, dual core, good radios. But it's frustrating to see that number of its issues, bugs growing so fast on this forum. Seems like it's rushed out. So to the OP, I would recommend Charge or Revolution if you are not after supersonic screen response.

Upvote 0
charge or x2...help me decide being on the original droid since launch, ready for an upgrade and considering the droid x2, charge ....I liked the thunderbolt but hear nothing but trouble with the battery life. I don't live in an area that has 4g yet, but I hope to have it within a year, so that is a consideration.

$249 charge: love the screen, and really love the camera! hdmi is nice but 4g could end up being a waste if Verizon doesn't bring it to my area any time soon??? (Northern NJ)

$149 droid x2: nice sturdy build, decent camera but only has 16gb...dual core should make things snappy...no 4g should it become available any time soon (one bonus for the x2 is that I got the essential bundle on sale for $20 including car dock, desk dock, wall and car charges, hdmi cable and 3.5mm cable) if I don't go with the x2 I could certainly use the hdmi cable, car and desk chargers and easily sell the docks for $20)

seems like you have already made up your mind. and your in NJ im sure 4G will come your way soon, i live in southeast virginia, i wont see 4G until 2013 their 4G is expanding very fast, the charge is overall very nice

i assume you posted this in the charge forum as well. problem is you posted this in the dx2 forum and they will go for the dx2 as charge users will say the charge.

there is also one thing you may want to consider
do you plan on rooting??
if you do and you want different roms, that are fully customizable, then i would recommend the Charge

if you dont care if root or roms come your way, and want the first dual core phone on vzw i would recommend the dx2

but from your post it seems you have already made up your mind, and its your choice, you will have this phone for 2 years, might want to take into consideration how far you will venture into the phone.

Upvote 0
Do you use bluetooth? Try the Charge and DX2 in the store with BT...if this is important to you I think you will walk out with the DX2 for that reason alone...

I had 4 different BT headsets with me when I tried it...Also try the voice search on both...

The color does band some on the DX2...didn't mean shit to me so I can live with that.

Upvote 0
Charge Cons:
The horribly sluggish file system, cheap/flimsy build quality, and Samsung's dubious track record for updates.

Charge Pros:
Bundled 32Gb SD card, a better camera on the rear + a front cam, that awesome screen & 4G (the last 2 are huge).

Droid X2 Pros:
Far superior build quality and formfactor, better HDMI capabilities (1080p & mirroring), a higher-resolution screen, more internal storage, and a far superior GPU/CPU. Also the FM tuner if that's important to you and the new "GingerBlur" is slightly preferable to Samsung's TouchWiz.

Additional factors to consider are the wide variety and affordability of Droid X accessories that are already available, Moto's much better track record for OS updates, and a very active community. Not to mention the X2's lower price both on contract & full retail.

Droid X2 cons: Pentile screen is kinda lame and it's only 3G. Also no FF camera. I am also disappointed Moto didn't improve the X2's camera over the X but I cannot really call that a major negative.

Tough call. If you care a lot about photos and using your phone as a wi-fi Hotspot, I'd go with the Charge. Otherwise, the X2 is a "safer" bet over the next two years and would be my choice.

Upvote 0
I like the DX2 so much, I was willing to invest time to create a formal note to VZW and email them, as well as speak to a local rep.

The DX2 has some strong suits as mentioned here and some issues needing fixed. I do NOT want to go back to the Incredible, not after using the DX2, in spite of the issues.

I think the display rocks.

Upvote 0
Loved the screen no complaints about processor speed or UI but still the Charge had to go back and replaced by X2 - read on

I'm an email a minute a few web pages and a few hours of calls a day user. Work in 4G area live in low 3G area. Early Droid adopter original Droid on first day (loved it till it died), wife has a Droid X. Waited a month for the Charges.

Why did the Charge go back
- Absolutely stinks in 3G coverage if signal is 2 bars - it simply loses the network not slow it actually says Network not available only way to get it back reboot. My wife's Droid X sitting next to it is happily pulling data and streaming YouTube (even when I forced it to be 3G CDMA instead of LTE)
- 4G when you have it flies but sucks battery
- Battery Life a mixed bag conventional battery killers like display and apps and heavy spurts of web (open a page read it) seems to do well. Heavy voice calls and constant emails kills battery. Pulled off charger at 8am dead by 5:30 my old Droid lasted till 10:30pm
Those were my reasons
In addition though the display looked out of the world put it next to the Droid X (original) and you suddenly noticed on YouTube it pixelated more the color tone was not as nice. Same with camera - really didn't matter to me.
- GPS extremely poor and slow lock on inside my car nearly 30 minutes for first lock on

I will miss the screen and the 4G but stable 3G is key for me 3G speed is enough for most of the stuff I do (unless you want to hot spot)

Droid X2 got it today can't do a side by side but
- The screen is actually pretty good I don't care for the higher resolution I like the big size more (my eyes are not what they were) but the screen is sharper smoother and brighter than the Droid X and nearly as good as the Charge the higher res helps when watching video
- 3G stable and fast and due to faster processor web pages are nearly as quick as UI ok big graphics in 4G no contest
- The UI is quicker and smoother
- Device is slightly thinner and the squared edges help it sit better in jean pockets the Charge tended to twist in the pocket

I was sad to return the Charge but now with the Droid X2 I'm happier than I expected. Any doubts I had are gone and I am much happier. If you want to be on the leading edge of technology get the Charge but remember you will also be on the bleeding edge.

Upvote 0
Aside from the battery issues that all LTE devices seem to have to some degree or another, the main reason I dismissed the Charge from contention was its lack of a notification LED.

Once I accepted that my smartphone habits don't really NEED 4G speeds, I realized that the hardware specs of the X2 were a clear winner for CURRENT devices. I imagine device manufacturers will work out all the LTE "problems" by the time I;m ready to upgrade again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones