1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Charge takes super long with all other chargers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lakersfreak, Oct 23, 2014.

1. lakersfreak

lakersfreak Well-Known Member

So yes the super fast charger is great! But I did notice all other chargers are super slow now! I'm sure this was done by Samsung on purpose so you can shell out more money to buy the "fast chargers".

Here's my example; last two nights I charged my Note 4 overnight with my Note 2 charger. I was at 10% at 11pm and 75% at 7am! My Note 2 used to charge from 0 to 100 in 4 hours with the same charger!!!!!!

So yes Samsung wins! I just ordered my second "fast charger" for $20. At least they gave me 50% off for registering :rolleyes:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

I am certainly not a charging expert, but that sounds off to me. Not the fast charger part, but boy, it shouldn't take THAT long to charge using another Samsung charger that isn't this new fast charge technology.

3. lakersfreak

I challenge you to try yourself. ....do you have an old Samsung charger?

4. Duffin

Duffin Well-Known Member

Hmm, weird. I've had no trouble charging mine on any variety of chargers I have. Tends to charge faster than my Note 3 did even without the fast charger.

5. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast

It is not the phone, or a conspiracy, it is the battery. What you have is "big tank-small hose" syndrome. I have the same issue with my GS3 with a zerolemon 7000mah battery. It will not charge 100% overnight, regardless of the charger. It will only, at best, charge about 70%. So if I am above 30% when I hook it up for the night, I am good - it will hit 100%, but if I am at 10%, it will only get to 80%. If I use a Generic cable, the situation is much worse. If you use a Generic cable, chances are the phone will only charge at the PC USB rate - which is very slow for any modern phone.

Be happy - Samsung did think of giving you an option of being able to charge your phone quick. Once the USB3 standard becomes more common on phones, you will not be 'forced' into buying Samsung branded cables.

6. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast

That sounds way off. When I use my other phone chargers (non Samsung) - 5v and 1-2a, it actually seems to charge pretty quick with that as well. Not as quick as Samsung's 9v, but quicker than I would have thought - similar to the 0-100 in 4 hrs you get with your N3.

7. m3incorp

m3incorp Well-Known Member

Interestingly when I compare the Note 4 charger to the Note 10.1 (2014) charger, they look exactly the same. I might have to give it a try. I did buy the spare battery kit and carry that, plus I have an external charger that I hope I don't have to carry around.

8. lestat897

lestat897 Newbie

Please can you send the link you used to buy the charger from Samsung? I've been searching for a few days and had no luck.

9. lakersfreak

Just register your note 4 and you will get a 50% off in you email with the link to website. It's just Samsung.com

10. KupKrazy

Isn't the Note 4 charger 9v 2A, as opposed to 5v 2A for their other chargers?

I need to get that spare kit and charger too but it looks backordered!

11. KupKrazy

Do you know if that's for new accounts only? I already have a Samsung account, and when I logged into the Samsung account on my Note 4 - it looks to have auto registered it. Would love to get the discount but it's not seeing anything unfortunately.

12. lakersfreak

No It's not for new accounts because I too already had a Samsung account. Its specifically for registering your Note 4. The coupon code is sent via email. Mine went into my junk folder....check there

13. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

Okay, had to try for myself. I used a charger that I got back when I bought my Samsung Nexus years ago (that's the charger I leave plugged in at work). It charged my phone quicker than I can recall my N3 charging using the same charger.

I will keep an eye on this and see if there is fluctuation, but as of now I'm not impacted by this...yet.

14. m3incorp

You are indeed correct. Looks can be deceiving.

15. m3incorp

I used the charger from my Samsung Galaxy S4 last night and it charged up just fine. OP you may have battery issues. If you bought the spare battery kit, trade out the battery and see what happens.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews