1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General charge vis usb?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Boo Boo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Boo Boo

Boo Boo Member
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    anyone get this to work? I hear it will only charge via usb if turned off.

or is there a good 3rd party adapter that will fix this?

Advertisement

2. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    I know the iPad won't charge via USB either, but I just happened to stumble on this article this morning:

The Greatest PC Mysteries--Solved! | PCWorld

And it says there are red USB ports that will output more juice to charge/run devices that need the extra power. I'm sure they're not standard by any means, since I've never seen one. But you could probably add a PCI card if you really wanted to.

3. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    Stock charger is 2.0Amp.

Most phones come with .75-1.0 amp chargers... just another charger problem for tablets, and not one that is bad. I just hate the proprietary connector, well at least so far.

Most people can't see the writing on the stock charger, it's very tiny.

Most computer usb ports put out .5 amp. A "red port" doesn't mean anything, check the device pinout and output before frying a device. (protip: early usb gps chargers will fry usb phones, but have the same connector).

APOPHiS420 likes this.
  4. hawley.35

hawley.35 Newbie
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    Ohio
    To answer your question directly...Yes. My Tab does charge via USB. I have tried several different ports (directly on the computer, hubs, monitors and even a usb print server) and they all charge the tablet. However they do charge it very slowly. As has already been pointed out this is due to the amperage available on these ports.

The issue is how the tablet is reporting its charging state. If the device is powered down, it will indicate a charging state on a low amperage port. If the device is powered on it indicates "discharging" but the battery percentage will slowly climb.

I think this should be considered a bug. I know that a standard USB port may not meet Samsung's charging amperage spec, but the tablet is still reporting an incorrect charging state if the battery percentage is climbing.

UPDATE: Samsung confirms this in their support FAQs.
    http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...?idx=388893&modelname=&modelcode=&session_id=