1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Charge vs Revo - In Store Impressions/Questions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by zeldaboy101, Jun 4, 2011.

1. zeldaboy101

zeldaboy101 Guest
    None
    I spent a full hour in the VZW store today playing with the phones i've been considering. I didn't care for the Droid X2, the navigation buttons are insanely skinny and I didn't like the phone that much. I also loaded a very very large resolution photo and well, it never finished because I gave up on waiting. A fairly large resolution photo loaded after waiting a while. Trying the 4G phones the difference became extremely evident in download speeds!

Revolution impressions:

Screen - MUCH brighter than the Charge (both were set to max brightness), the Charge had a pretty screen but the whites were much more whiter on the Revo

Speed - Extremely snappy, moving from home screen to home screen was soooo smooth. The Revo and Charge were side by side on display so I would slide both at the same time, noticeable difference between them. Everything just seemed to respond quicker on the Revo.

Camera - The camera responds much faster on the Revo. When you clicked the shutter button it took a split second to focus and then it took the picture.The quality is noticeably worse on the Revo however, being only 5mp, but it's still better than my EnV3!

Bing - Really wasn't an issue except for a question i'm bringing up at the end of this, which may be a MASSIVE deal breaker for me.

Weight/Build - felt sturdy in the hand but not heavy, i've never had a smart phone so the LED notification light was interesting. I guess it'd save on battery life since you wouldn't randomly have to check for texts. I really liked the 4 buttons at the bottom being touch the more I played with the phones. It takes no effort to touch them, but not trying to sound lazy, it took longer to push the physical button on the Charge down than to just tap the buttons on the Revo.

Apps - they weren't kidding about the bloatware, but I really like already having Netflix

Charge:

Screen - GORGEOUS, the live wallpaper in the background was extremely pretty, but I turned it off to try and speed up the phone. It doesn't seem to be overly bright even when maxed out though, but it wasn't hard to read even though it appeared to have a dimmer brightness than the Revo.

Speed - Slower than the Revo, but I started with the Charge first and wasn't really annoyed by responsiveness. I did notice a big difference when picking up the Revo however. It's passable.

Camera - A full second of darkness after clicking the shutter, I had no idea when it was actually taking the picture. Great pictures, but the lag bugged me. This phone has a VERY wide angle lens in it, it was very difficult to keep my fingers out of the photos when holding it by the security part that is attached to the phone. This was not a problem on the Revo so it's definitely not as wide as the Charge.

Weight/build - Build didn't bother me but it feels super light. I admit I preferred holding the Revo. The physical buttons take longer to push down and get a response than to just tap the touch ones on the Revo.

Questions!

Bing Maps - I tried it on the Revo, the only layer I could get was traffic and I couldn't even pull up a satellite photo. Can you guys add these layers? I'm hoping I missed it.

Google Maps - On the Revo, this is a MASSIVE deal breaker to me. I used Google Maps side by side with the Charge to see how they performed. I live practically live in Google Maps because I make a lot of road trips to national parks. I tried zooming in with the satellite image...it wouldn't zoom in much at all! Buildings were still pretty small. On the Charge you could zoom in at a ridiculous scale. The Revo had such little zoom (the zoom + button was grayed out too) that it would be worthless in the aspect I use Google Maps for!

I forgot to check, does the Revo have turn by turn directions read out loud by the phone in Google Maps?

How likely is it that a 3G/4G toggle can be implemented with the Revo? I'd really like to be able to turn 4G off on the Revo since it's battery life isn't quite as good. I'd like to not have to turn the phone off to do a switch.

So having spent a while playing with both here's my conclusion until I get some answers above:

Revo:
    Brighter screen
    Solid phone, prefer the touch buttons
    Noticeably snappier
    Less camera lag
    Crappier Google Maps? :(

Charge:
    Gorgeous screen but overall not brighter
    Google Maps seemed to work better
    Slower but doable speed
    Too much camera lag but better quality

Posting this in the other phones forum too...hopefully deciding which to get by tomorrow!

Oh and some funny observations about the VZW store. Everyone was crowded around the iPhone display, hardly anyone played with the Androids. When people were asking about the Androids I overhead some of their comments. "Owning an Android phone is a lot like owning a computer. It can do more, but it requires more maintenance. Every few days you have to turn it off. An iPhone just works."

Advertisement

2. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    zeldaboy, I owned both phones, the Droid Charge twice and my final of the bunch of phones I had from VZW this month. I did a ton of testing and it boils down to preference. I wish VZW would have a CDMA phone manufacturer roll a bunch of great features into one phone. The best phone out there IMO is the Samsung Galaxy S II, but it is a GSM phone... So that being said, if you like the Droid Charge, the lag you experienced can be overcome. That is with Launcher Pro, Beautiful Widgets, and the Skyfire, Dolphin, or Opera Browsers. There is a way to really speed the phone up with rooting and changing the file system. I am holding out to see if Gingerbread makes it onto the Droid Charge as rumored within a week or so.

As for the LG Revolution, I like the phone, the battery life was the deal breaker for me, but there are solutions for that too, carry second battery, get extended battery, or turn everything that draws power off or down to something more manageable. The 3G/4G speeds were not on par for what I was getting on the Droid Charge, but that may just be Seattle. I did a full review on the phones here:

http://androidforums.com/lg-revolution/344309-lg-revolution-vs-charge-vs-incredible-2-a.html

Screenshots here:

http://androidforums.com/lg-revolution/344528-screenshots-thread.html

and camera comparisons here:

http://androidforums.com/lg-revolution/345517-lg-revolution-5mp-photos.html

The choice is yours to make, both phones are good and open for modding...

3. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert
    None

Oct 19, 2010
    OC, CA
    I'm not sure what happened with GunnerJim's Revo, or it could be Seattle area doing it. But most Revo users report 10~16 hours under 4G mode and nearly twice of that under 3G mode in moderate usage.

4. zeldaboy101

zeldaboy101 Guest
    None
    I've seen your posts jim, all good information i've taken into consideration. It seems like the charge has a lot of promise and with some work can made into one heck of a phone.

Did you find the Charge to have a dimmer screen than the Revo?

On a side note, WTH is up with this being moved to the lounge!?! It's a very phone specific post.