1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Charger changes screens on phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Panchoevo, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Panchoevo

Panchoevo Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Amber waves of grain.
    Charger changes screens on phone.

Am using Mini to Micro usb converter/adapter on motorola RAZR1 charger--plug charger's mini into the converter plug, then plug the micro end of the converter into the Evo.

When I plug this set up into the phone, the screen changes from the Home screen to a large icon screen with Footprints, Navigation, Voice Search etc. big icons. Have not seen this screen on this phone before.

Have tried two different mini/micro converter plugs on different Razr1 chargers with the same result.

Since the RAZR2 chargers are compatible with the Evo, I had assumed that the RAZR1 chargers would also be compatible, the only issue being the mini/micro interface. So I purchased for short money some converters so the I could use the multiple RAZR1 chargers I have.

Seems that the RAZR1 must have a substantially higher, or lower, output that is just not compatible with the Evo.

Does anyone have any info or experience regarding RAZR1 chargers with the Evo ? ...with this screen changing thing ?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    You are putting the phone into car dock mode. This is usually done by grounding one of the pins on the charger, which usually only will work with a car dock. So obviously the charger or converter you have is grounding one of the pins. As long as it charges good, I dont see a problem with it, just exit out of the Nav panel.

Is there a reason you arent using the charger that came with the phone?

3. privraac

privraac Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    MN
    You should be able to change the settigs so that car mode won't automatically come on.

4. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    those are all band-aids. why not just get the appropriate usb cable and be done with it? :thinking:

5. Panchoevo

None

Aug 7, 2010
    Amber waves of grain.
    I'm using the one that came with the phone, but I have a briefcase, 3 offices, 3 cars, a cabin cruiser, and two houses, and I have the old Razr1 charger in each location. Would like to keep the same set up, without tossing out good equipment; or carrying a charger around with me.

That's good info Re. the Car mode. I see the small car icon at the top of the screen.

So, if I understand you correctly--either the mini/micro adapter is grounding something, or, this grounding characteristic is inherent to the RAZR1 chargers. Is that about it ?

Thanks

6. Panchoevo

None

Aug 7, 2010
    Amber waves of grain.
    I think I've got a work-around.
    Go to: All Apps/Car Panel/Menu/Settings;
    then de-select Auto Launch (Launch Car Panel in car kit automatically);
    then Return Arrow.
    At this point, the Home button is unresponsive.
    Now, drag down menu from top of screen
    then de-select Car Mode Enabled,
    and you get your Home screen back.
    Now when I plug in my old RAZR1 chargers with the mini/micro adapter,
    the phone behaves normally.

Tags: