• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charger cord is short

CoreyV

Mar 11, 2012
Got my 7 this weekend and have found it kind of unusable when it's charging because the cord is so short. My couch is pretty close to an outlet (often will charge the thrive or phone while charging), but not with the 7 cord.

I don't know that I'm power/energy smart enough to know amps and such. The mini-USB chargers from our phones (Samsung S2) fit and started charging on a quick test. But I don't want to damage anything with an improper charge.

Any advice?

Thanks

As I understand it, the N7 charger plug is higher powered than phone chargers, right?
If so, presumably the cable shouldn't make a difference?

I need a cable that will reach all the way to the toilet :)

The cable makes a difference. I tried to charge mine with the N7 plug, but a kindle 3 USB cable, and I was only really breaking even after several hours.

Upvote 0
Did you have the Touchstone with your Touchpad? Would it work with the N7?

I doubt it. It has to have a inductor to charge the battery.... would have shown up in the N7 tear-down.

I have one in a box, it'll be a gift for a nephew. I gave the other one to my wife. Difficult to use the TP while it's on the charger so usually I just plug in the usb cable.

Upvote 0
I've suffered the same problem, but after it's been fully charged for the first few times the battery lasts me a full day, and I have a double adapter under my bed that I plug it into before I go to bed. That way I can sit it next to me and use it in bed if I have too (Maybe like a sudden urge to play real racing :p) and it's ready to go the next day.

Upvote 0
Buy a long USB3 cable. I have a 6 footer and it works great. Remember USB3 ONLY. Hope this helps.

USB3? a usb3 connector will not fit, it has a micro usb connector with extra pins, therefore a wider connector (i have one in my hand right now from an external hard drive). Besides i am using a USB2 micro usb from my phone (using the asus charger) and it works fine.

EDIT: the cables others are describing are USB3 compatible "EXTENSION" cables...USB2 -EXTENSION- cables will work fine too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones