• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

mattsd

Mar 18, 2013
I thought I'd start a new thread as this is probably going to be something a lot of people will end up being interested in. I'd imagine a lot of folks don't realize their Moto G is going to come with only a cable and no actual charger.

Anyway, maybe someone with more knowledge could point out a few aftermarket chargers that won't damage the phone or battery? I have only been able to find some on the Motorola site and I can't see the Moto G listed anywhere as a compatible device. Any ideas?

Reactions: alfick3
I guess I didn't noticed a charger wasn't included. It looking like the more I want the phone the less included! :)

At work I use an LG charger with my Samsung phone, I guess it doesn't charge the phone as fast as the Samsung charger, and probably less voltage, but it get the job done for me.

I'm thinking the Samsung charger may work very well with the Moto G though. The charger is a pretty good one and doesn't look cheaply made.

Upvote 0
I guess I didn't noticed a charger wasn't included. It looking like the more I want the phone the less included! :)

That's exactly how I've been feeling. I think it's still probably a great deal for the money but the gap is becoming less large between it and some of the higher end handsets when you consider things like internal storage and not getting a travel charger with it. Hmmm.

Perhaps someone with an electronics background can chime in and enlighten us as to what chargers we can use and what we should avoid. I've heard horror stories in the past regarding frying the charging port on the actual phone or ruining the battery. Maybe we should be asking elsewhere, too. I'm not sure many people are visiting this part of the forum yet. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Amazon.com: micro usb charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've mixed and matched all different chargers and have never damaged a device over the years. My G2 (if running a stock ROM) will let me know if it's plugged into a lesser powered charger, but it still charges, albeit slower. At work, I've left the charger from my OG Droid, and it's charged my Gnex, S3 and G2 along with coworker's phones just fine.

Reactions: mattsd
Upvote 0
Well guys, I went for the Powergen charging block that I linked to a few posts up. I've been using it now for a few days. Very impressed. Charges my phone in about 1.5 to 2 hours. Hasn't blown up the Moto G or burned my house down so far. :smokingsomb:

I've also charged the Moto G using a USB port on a desktop Mac, my MacBook Pro and my old Samsung charger. The USB ports charge the slowest taking about 4 to 5 hours. Second is the Sammy charger which puts out about .7 amps I believe and takes about 3 hours. The quickest is obviously the Powergen putting out 2.4 Amps on the 'non Apple' port and about 1.5 Amps on the 'Apple' port. It's very well built and has a blue LED which isn't obnoxiously bright, however I don't really see the need for a light at all, but there you have it. Just thought I'd share my experience so far :thumb:

Reactions: alfick3 and saptech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones