• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charger Is Weak..........

heavychevy

Android Expert
Jun 12, 2010
Why can't the charge support the phone at full power?

So I was at 21 hrs on my phone unplugged with 25% left on the battery. All giddy (or giggidy :)) about the battery life when I decide to see what all the fuss is about RoboDefense. Needless to say I was hooked in 10 seconds. Knew the battery was getting low so I plug in the charger. Still went dead after 30 minutes (Ok maybe an hour, time flies when ..........).

So why is the voltage level of our chargers not enough to support the phone when it's taxing heavily. I don't think i've ever seen a device that couldn't operate even with no battery on the charger.....

I forget the actual numbers, but depending on how your are charging (either USB from a computer or plugged into a wall) you may not be getting as much power as you think. The USB/Computer charge gives about half the power as it would if the phone was plugged directly to an outlet. The power first gets applied to running the phone. Any power not needed to support what the phone is currently doing gets applied to charging the phone.

I don't know how much power Robo Defense takes, or what else you may have been doing, but if the processes that were running at the time took more power than what the charger was providing, it would still die eventually.

Sorry I can't provide the actual numbers.

Upvote 0
The HTC charger provides a full 1amp of power to the phone, the most it can support. The EVO will NOT drain when it is on that charger, period. If it is, you have a faulty charger.

If you had the EVO hooked up to other chargers or a computer via USB, it might have not been providing the full 1amp of power (computers typically max out at 500milliamps or less. That's half the HTC charger).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones