• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charger Noise

thaiffer

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
Just got the HTC 10 and even though I'm charging it using the official genuine charger that came with it, it makes a lot of hissing and electrical noise and gets very hot. I wonder if this is normal?

I would normally associate this type of charger performance with a cheap chinese copy charger which is not correctly strictly electrically tested like the genuine chargers are.

Mine hums as well, and gets warm too.

Last night, I put my phone on the charger at 38%, left it for about an hour, and when I picked it up, it was still at 38%?!??! Weird, right? I unplugged it and plugged it in again, and the toast notification said something like "quick charger connected" (I am at work, so I don't know the exact wording), and the battery icon showed the lightning bolt. After the screen went dark, I noticed the lock screen said "fast charging" at the bottom, so it was definitely connected. This morning it was at 100%. I used it for a bit and it dropped to 90%, put it back on the charger while I got ready for work - about 30 minutes - and it only went to 95%. No way a QC 3.0 charger needs half an hour to go only 5%!!

I think my charger is defective and it's messing up the phone's battery/usage. People are saying they get 5 hours of screen on time in the day, while I barely get half of that.

Upvote 0
I'm not shocked or apalled like WeeWilly

With my HTC M9, the Quick Charge 2.0 HTC charger (1.67A) bought directly from HTC and the (1.5A) charger that came with the phone both exhibit some hissing and electrical noise.

Prior phones with the standard (1A) charger do not exhibit hissing or electrical noise, that is apparent or audible.

You can try to reach out to HTC regarding this, but you might find that any charger they send you is going to have the same effect in your electrical receptacles.

You could drop back to a 1A charge, which will lengthen the life of your battery (low and slow - like BBQ) but you lose the benefit of Quick Charge and the convenience that it affords you.

Sidenote:
(My wife's Samsung charger makes electrical noise too. It used to be appalling to me, I didn't know how she could stand it but then I upgraded phones and my new chargers did it too. It is sadly something that I have just grown to ignore. Hopefully there are no bad health side effects from these frequencies)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We could try listing charger part numbers that came with the HTC 10 and see if there are any differences along the way.

When the phone goes through FCC approval they usually pass multiple chargers through with the phone so that they can diversify suppliers and maximize their supply chain. They also bring spares in case they run into issues. They may all end up with the same blanket PN but in years past there have been slight visual differences.

Example
Model: TC XXX
HTC PN: 79HXXXXX-XXM
(X = Numeric value)

This could also prove to be an un-fruitful endeavor, who knows.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones