• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charger not keeping up!!!

I have offered up one Motorola Car charger (SPN5400A) and one Motorola USB Charging/Data cable (SKN6238A) to "the experiment" in the name of seeking a solution.

You may be (I certainly was) surprised to discover this: the Motorola Car charger is rated at 950mA output, however... only the red and black wires are sent to the 5pin microUSB connector that connects to the phone.

So if the LGS were to detect that the charger was capable of delivering more current than that by a typical USB connection to a computer... see: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that wasn't going to happen with this charger without some modding, hence the need for a charger and another cable for the experiment.

Heh heh. More later. :ridinghorse:

Upvote 0
All chargers are not created equal. I have 3 different Verizon branded chargers that came with Verizon phones. Two are USB, and one is a straight wire. The USB chargers are drastically slower to charge than the non-USB charger. At this point, I don't even remember which charger came with which phone....but one of the USB chargers, will allow the battery to drain if the phone is being used. It takes several hours to fully charge a low battery. The others will do it in a couple of hours.

Upvote 0
Well the results are disappointing. Looks like the LG is recognizing the charger supports a larger mA draw, but the phone isn't charging with the larger current. It should have seen the two pins shorted on the cable I made (D+ and D-) and responded.

Maybe we need a SW patch.

Try measuring the resistance in the cable and you will find that a data cable will have 3-5 0hms per 6' of length.

Check the thread I quoted in your other post.

It's the cable...

Data cables should NOT be used to charge the Spectrum with.
I tried to tell VZW about this but....

And that little dictatorshit of a site, LG can suck my Fathom raw.

Any way back on topic, The other post has a great solution for the charging issue.

Upvote 0
Someone may find this a little non-intuitive. I certainly have.

While waiting to get a car charger that looks like it's wired to provide high current charging, and a much better cable to try - I decided to give the "Amazon Basics" car charger that came with my phone (it was a free gift when purchasing the phone through AmazonWireless) a try.

OK, the thing is rated at 500mA.

Well I tried it today while streaming Pandora and using Google Nav with the screen on the whole time.

I drove for 15minutes, and instead of the battery charge going down, it went up 2 or 3%. I was dumbfounded.:fight:

Now I believe part of the difference here, is the cable is relatively short...

I've got to give this another try to verify the result. I am not sure it is a long-term or safe solution though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones