• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charger questions.

Dogman

Lurker
Apr 19, 2015
I'm posting this here and in the LG G3 Forum:

Hello Good People,

New guy here and Thanks Rob. Can anyone please answer these questions. I have an LG G3 and an LG G Pad 8.3 LTE. Both came with identical 5V, 1.8A chargers. I have a New Trent charger that has two ports. One outputs 5V, 1A and the other has an output of 5V, 2.1A. I also have an iGo charger with an output of 5V, 2.1A.

Can I safely, without issue, charge either of my devices with either the New Trent or the iGo chargers? I've done a lot of research on this and my understanding is I should be safe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like volts is where there would be a concern and since all chargers are 5V, it should be OK. The New Trent charged my previous Samsung Tab 7 nicely using the 2.1A port. Do devices "draw" only the amps they need so there is not a concern with amps? Do devices cap amps? Most of the charges that came with my older phones were less than one amp. I've read it was cheaper for manufacturer's to provide those and a 2.1 A charger will simply charge a device faster.

Further, would the 1A port on the New Trent charge either of my devices? I suspect it wouldn't.

Lastly, can I use any USB/micro USB cord with my chargers or there specific power and data cord?

WHEW! Lot of questions for a first post eh!

Thanks in advance for any replies. Please feel free to add any and all technical info that applies to this.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones