• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chargers - Can we mix and match?

Chaznsc

Android Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2010
I'm wondering if you can (or should) use a charger for say an iPad to charge the Droid X or Kindle Fire, or perhaps other models?

• Kindle Fire Charger - Output=5w/1.8a
  • DroidX Charger Output=5.1V/850mA (I think)
  • iPad Charger - Output=5v/1a

I'm an electricity idiot so none of the numbers register with me. Im just so tired of dragging along this wad of chargers for everything I own.

chaz

Are you sure you're reading that Kindle Fire charger correctly? 5w / 1.8a = 2.7 volts. Most consumer electronics are designed to work with USB ports for charging, which is 4.5v-5.1v. 2.7v just seems really low. Most LiIon batteries operate from 3.5v to 4.3v. 2.7v just wouldn't cut it to charge the LiIon battery, regardless of the current rating.

Otherwise the Droid X charger is the safest. But it may not be safe for the Kindle Fire, due to the voltage difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones