• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help charging a cell phone...

Read the label. As long as the output is 5 to 5.2 volts, it's fine. The current output (mA) tells you how long it will take to charge the phone (not linearly - the phone will draw a maximum amount of current no matter how much more the charger is capable of providing). So if the original charger is capable of 100 mA, and the phone charges under a set of conditions (temperature, how much charge has been used, etc.) in 5 hours, a charger capable of 50 mA may take 10 hours to charge the phone. But if the phone is set to draw no more than 100 mA, using a charger capable of 500 mA will still take 5 hours.

VERY few phones and tablets use something other than a microUSB connector and ~5 volt charging these days. "Charger", when it comes to cellphones, is almost generic. (Which is different from years ago, when even one manufacturer might have had 4 different charger connectors and 3 different voltages.)

Upvote 0
I have used numerous different power supplies (iPhone, S2, BlackBerry, noname eBay, computer USB port) and never had a problem with any of them regardless of whether I was using the phone at the time or how lomg the phone was plugged in for.

The only difference is how long it takes to charge and the supplied charger performs best in that respect.

Upvote 0
I have used numerous different power supplies (iPhone, S2, BlackBerry, noname eBay, computer USB port) and never had a problem with any of them regardless of whether I was using the phone at the time or how lomg the phone was plugged in for.

The only difference is how long it takes to charge and the supplied charger performs best in that respect.

+1

Exactly what I was gonna say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones