1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Charging after a month of no use.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chrisxrussell, Jan 6, 2013.

1. chrisxrussell

chrisxrussell Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2013
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. It hasn't been used to over a month, maybe two months even. I just plugged it into a wall charger, and there is no sign of life on the tablet itself. I can't power it up, and there are no lights at all on it.

Is this a sign of a dead tablet, or will it take a few hours to get enough charge to show some sort of life?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Are you using the original Samsung charger or a different one? A generic charger may not provide enough juice especially if the battery was run down all the way.
    Also was the tab left on to run down or was it turned off first? Not turning it off could result in a deeper discharge that might damage the battery.
    As long as you're using the correct charger I'd just leave it for as long as it takes to get it to wake up. If it's still dead after charging overnight then you may have a real problem.

3. chrisxrussell

chrisxrussell Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2013
    I believe its a generic charger. I left it plugged in for a few hours, came home, unplugged it.. and plugged the charger back in while holding down the power button, and it powered up. You're right on the generic charger not having enough juice because it didn't stay powered on for long. Going to leave it charging overnight and see if that helps.

4. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Ok, that's progress. If the tab is powered off it should eventually charge up with that charger but it may take a very long time. It's a 4000mah battery and to charge it in a reasonable amount of time requires more than the 500ma that a standard USB charger puts out, the one that comes with the tab has a 2A output.
    For the future, if you don't have the original charger for some reason you should get one with enough output. An OEM one would be best, but there are aftermarket ones with 2A output ratings. A charger for an HP Touchpad should work, it's 2A.