• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging Battery Overnight?

robo21

Android Expert
Jul 26, 2010
So Cal
I spoke to a Samsung tech about charging the battery. He said "After your initial full charge, if you charge the battery for more than 4 hours you will reduce the life of your battery." I was stunned, why not include a smart charger that would curtail the charge current as the battery reached full charge? He had no answer. We know the answer.

So no more overnight charging for me.

I spoke to a Samsung tech about charging the battery. He said "After your initial full charge, if you charge the battery for more than 4 hours you will reduce the life of your battery." I was stunned, why not include a smart charger that would curtail the charge current as the battery reached full charge? He had no answer. We know the answer.

I don't think he knows what he is talking about. The phone prompts you that charge is complete, this makes me think that the phone also turns off charging of the battery.

Upvote 0
I don't think he knows what he is talking about. The phone prompts you that charge is complete, this makes me think that the phone also turns off charging of the battery.

I would trust the Rep and not overcharge because if they are reps of a certain product then they have to know the ins and outs of the product.

Overcharging is never good in any case.

Upvote 0

Exactly, I charge mine overnight and every morning when I take it off the charger it is at somewhere between 97 and 99%. Once it reaches full charge it pops up the notification and stops charging.. I've been meaning to leave it on the charger and see if it'll start auto charging again after a certain point but am always in a hurry in the morning hehe.

Upvote 0
From another thread ...

It might be a good thing that it woke you. I spoke to a Samsung tech about charging the battery. He said "After your initial full charge, if you charge the battery for more than 4 hours you will reduce the life of your battery." I was stunned, why not include a smart charger that would curtail the charge current as the battery reached full charge? He had no answer.

The Samsung tech was blowing smoke and doesn't know what he is talking about ... these batteries can be charged and stayed connect full-time without issue... the battery doesn't have the memory issue of the old NiCad batteries of years ago. So you can charge them at any point in their cycle and not have any bad effects... The battery charging circuits in the phone will limit and prevent the battery from becoming over-charged or damaged... If that circuit failed then there could be a problem ... but most likely you will never see that happen ..

Upvote 0
From another thread ...

The Samsung tech was blowing smoke and doesn't know what he is talking about ... these batteries can be charged and stayed connect full-time without issue... the battery doesn't have the memory issue of the old NiCad batteries of years ago. So you can charge them at any point in their cycle and not have any bad effects... The battery charging circuits in the phone will limit and prevent the battery from becoming over-charged or damaged... If that circuit failed then there could be a problem ... but most likely you will never see that happen ..

Perhaps but no one ever said anything about a "memory issue." Of course, lithium ion and NiMh batteries have virtually eliminated the memory issue that was so common with NiCad batteries. We know they are not nicads, they can be charged at any time. It is however beneficial to take them down to 90% occasionally before recharging. The newer batteries can be damaged by completely draining them. Lithium ion and NiMh batteries can also be damaged by overcharging. The question is whether or not the phone circuitry or charger circuitry limits the charge current when the battery reaches full charge.

It could be that the level 2 tech was wrong. But I haven't been able to find written confirmation of that anywhere as of yet. And it does state in the Samsung Vibrant User Guide that a discharged battery takes approximately 4 hours to reach a full charge.

Justjimpc, please, if you could refer me to any technical reference(s) on this phone that establishes the existence of "overcharge protection circuitry" in the phone or the OEM charger I would be most grateful. I have looked and asked support and so far documented information has eluded me. From the tone of your reply it sounds like you have concrete information that establishes the existence of such circuitry. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Justjimpc, please, if you could refer me to any technical reference(s) on this phone that establishes the existence of "overcharge protection circuitry" in the phone or the OEM charger I would be most grateful. I have looked and asked support and so far documented information has eluded me. From the tone of your reply it sounds like you have concrete information that establishes the existence of such circuitry. Thanks in advance.
Could you please refer us to any authenticated documentation from one of a manufacturer

I have got Samsung F480i and I am located in Australia.

Today the tech guy at the Samsung authorized dealer told me same thing :
I suppose not to overcharge my Samsung F480i overnight, because that would damage the battery.

I tried to search Google using this phrase :
Charging cell phone batteries overnight
Google

Outcome I got different ideas and opinions contradict each other.

Upvote 0
As an engineer that works with LI-Ion charging systems, I would tell you the battery charging circuit HAS to disable charging when the battery is full. If it didn't, the battery would overheat, vent, start on fire, and burn down anything near it. No reputable battery manufacturer would sell to company that does not include over-charge and over/under-voltage protections in the charging system.

Upvote 0
Does ocercharging damages the phone? i mean if it will damage the battery or not, you can always buy another battery. But is overnight charging damages the phone? i really need an answer. i fall asleep while charging :) so i left it charging for almost 8 hours. the manual indicated "do not over charge for a week" .

Don't worry. You will not damage your battery or phone in that amount of time. What I generally do is charge the phone after work and it is fully charged by bedtime. Then I disconnect it while I sleep. It has at least enough charge for all night and the following day.

Upvote 0
Reading all these posts here, I want to share my real experience with overcharging (may be) with Samsung Galaxy Y ( 700mA 5V USB Charger).

My original battery swell to nearly 2 times its width suddenly in a fortnight, and back went to nearly 10% of original earlier it was nearly 80 - 90% of the original before a month.

I used to plug car charger 5.5V,other chargers and laptop charging also ocasionally, and used to keep charging overnight 50% of the times.

I dont know why my original batt. lived out in just 1.5 years of purchase of mob. in which I guess I charge atmost once a day. So, this hardly equals 500 charge discharge cycle. Original batt, should give near about 800-1000 charge discharge cycle.

When I gone to buy original batt. from a Samsung (only) Retail shop, retailer opened the back cover to mount/check new batt.

Just after opening and seeing the cond. of my old batt. he said the line "Do you used to charge the phone overnight."
I said ,yes. He said it is deduced from the batt.

And, he strongly recommended not to charge overnight/overcharge the new batt.Your old batt. lived out due to overcharging. Usually Original batteries run for more than 2 years.

I asked him,"but the phone has internal circuitry to protect overcharging, and phone shuts down charging once batt has full charged." He said no whatever may be the reason but today phones are not coming with good battery monitoring circuits and they are getting damaged to overcharging, and in the long run batt is gets ruined.
Thats it,

I am also a Electrical and Electronics Engg. I know there are circuits just below the battery connectors on a battery width sized pcb ( I once opened it),

It has temperature sensor (generally on the middle pin which varies voltage linearly with temperature ), short circuit protection circuit ( as batt opens when more than the set level of current flows through it), over discharge protection ( you will get zero voltage on the terminal if pot. diff. of batt. goes below 3V ) and overcharge protection ( may be charging stops or trickle charging start after batt has reached 4.2V , I have not tested it yet but now I will as this happened to me).

By googling around I have read that li-ion batt. swell due to overcharging.

I think most people here who are saying very confidently that batt. are overcharged protected don't have any authentic proof.
But, ya I do agree that costly phones ( more than 200$ ) do have protections as good companies don't skip these small circuitry.

But cheap phones/companies may have cheap circuitry or no overcharge circuitry to cut down the production cost .
Mine is Galaxy Y (less than 150$) ,may be I have burnt out overcharge pro. circuit by using 5.5V charger.

So, whatever may be the reason, its good idea to abandon your habbit of charging overnight or reduce its frequency if you can't.
Otherwise if you are comfortable spending 10$ more in a year, its really not a big deal to bother that much.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Welcome to the AndroidForums, akash4u!

Good info and interesting take--it's hard to really know what's inside a given manufacturer's battery without actually taking it apart, but I've never liked the idea of leaving my devices plugged-in and unwatched while I sleep anyway.

Here's an interesting thread over on XDA about battery charging (and bump-charging) that might be relevant to your points:

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing)

Anyway, good food for thought! :)

Cheers and thanks for signing-up with us here at AF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones