1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Charging battery with car charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ukrkoz, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    I tried 2 Verizon car chargers on my Droid, and both produce same result:
    after about an hr of driving with it connected(on different vehicles/navigation) a warning message comes up on the screen:

Battery is either too hot or too cold

(go figure) but I must say, that battery compartment indeed is very hot on touch. This does not happen charging from USB or from phone wall charger.

Any ideas? My wife's Continuum has none of this issue, except that battery dies about 30% faster.

Advertisement

2. Bozz5384

Bozz5384 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    You have a definite problem if the phone is telling you the battery is too hot! Granted, they all get warm when charging but something is wrong with yours. If you have tried 2 Verizon brand chargers than I'd say its most likely your phone.

Talk to Verizon, before you burn something up.

Just my .02

3. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    well, most likely battery. phone does not do much, and voltage supplied to battery for charging is determined by charger, not phone. it's not a major hassle, I learned to unplug it in about an hr of driving with nav on, just for precaution. odd though.

4. st0623

st0623 Newbie
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    In my past experience, when charging, if a battery heats up, the battery is going bad. Change it out at the store if it is under warranty.

Advice though, stay with Samsung branded batteries, they appear to work better and last longer. I've not had much luck with off-brand batteries.

5. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    OK, stopped by Verizon store.
    1. battery has 1 yr warranty, just in case
    2. CSR told me to never leave car charger connected to phone for extended period of time. He said that Verizon car chargers are rapid charge ones, and will overheat battery. He said to run nav off battery until it's almost dead, then connect charger.

Considering that this overheating happens only with cars chargers, and does not happen with wall or USB charging, I'd give him credit on this.