• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging Causes Software Issues

lucas.childers

Android Enthusiast
May 7, 2011
When I plug my phone in, my touch screen is really shaky. My finger will.be still but everything moves. And I can reproduce it on my dad's phone as well (both sensations). I suspect it is a software issue? It is perfectly fine when not charging. Help?

Could everyone please try this, plug in your phone and hold the lock screen circle in one spot, does it wiggle?

Not here...sorry. I do think I've seen this mentioned on other forums though. Something about a grounding issue, but like I said I don't see it myself.

Any idea what I should do about it? Because it is easily achived on two phones with totally different usage put into them. Dads is email and calling that's about it, and mine, intense usage for the last week. Should I take it in, or even just try his charger? Both phones at least do it on my charger.

Upvote 0
Found something.

Seems to be my actual power adapter that you plug the USB into to charge and actually might have something to do with grounding. I plug the USB into a computer to charge with no screen issues. But then plug it into the wall with the adapter and the screen acts up. Unplugged is completely fine. Very weird, I will try it with different wall adapters (iDevices wall adapter and other Androids I've had). Yet again can anyone try to replicate this.

Thank you

Edit: When I have the phone any where but my hand it will also mess up, given it is plugged into a wall adapter. Proves that the phone has a lot to do with grounding the conductivity.

Upvote 0
I've had the HTC Sensation (3G UK Model on O2 network) since yesterday, and when Its charging (USB or Mains), the screen shakes when its pressed in the way you describe on the unlock ring. I've also noticed when i press to type an sms or email the letters typed are not the ones im intending to press, imilarly when i try to open an app its as if the screen loses all calibration and doesnt know where youre presing - any fixes ? :(

Upvote 0
I havent noticed this with the HTC charger because it crumbled when I tried to plug it into the outlet. The replacement also crumbled! (The plastic completely cracked all over and the PSU fell out)...

I suspect a crappy PSU. These are SMPS (switch mode power supplies) which mean they run at high frequency (you probably hear a high pitch noise). I would bet the QC on them is terrible and some people are getting some high frequency interference from a faulty circuit. (Likely has something wrong with its filtering or regulation)

I am using a griffin power cube looking thing. Its tiny as heck. Id stay away from the HTC charger as it looks to be a REAL POS!

Matt

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones