• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging: Fast or slow.. which is better?

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
the charger than came with the Note3 takes about 3 hrs to fully recharge the phone... and the charger gets a little warm.

I also have other chargers.. that take up to 6 hrs to recharge the Note3.
this charge is only slightly warm.

I have read that heat.. and fast charging.. lowers the lifespan of the battery.

question:
so would it a slow charge of 6 hrs.. promote longer battery life?
or it is just splitting hairs.. difference is not even noticeable? extra few weeks?
or even worse.. the slow battery charge is bad for this battery???

the charger than came with the Note3 takes about 3 hrs to fully recharge the phone... and the charger gets a little warm.

I also have other chargers.. that take up to 6 hrs to recharge the Note3.
this charge is only slightly warm.

I have read that heat.. and fast charging.. lowers the lifespan of the battery.

question:
so would it a slow charge of 6 hrs.. promote longer battery life?
or it is just splitting hairs.. difference is not even noticeable? extra few weeks?
or even worse.. the slow battery charge is bad for this battery???
Stock charger will work fine it wont effect your phones battery.

Upvote 0
yes.. I am sure the stock charger is safe..

but what I am trying to understand is..
would a slower charger help stretch the battery life span a little more...

example: the "expected" battery life is 3 yrs.
but by using the slower charger..it "could" be 5yrs.

Upvote 0
yes.. I am sure the stock charger is safe..

but what I am trying to understand is..
would a slower charger help stretch the battery life span a little more...

example: the "expected" battery life is 3 yrs.
but by using the slower charger..it "could" be 5yrs.

I dont think but if you use a charger other than the stock one not with same output current and voltage, might get worse effects on battery.

Upvote 0
can't speak for the batteries in the Note 3 but on Rechargable systems for other devices, such as with the well known brand Powerex, slower charges are better. They do result in far less heat and deeper charges. both are reasons why the Powerex higher end chargers allow you to specify the rate of charge/discharge.

I use MAHA, Imedion and Powerex exclusively for all my rechargeable needs.

Upvote 0
The "expected" lifespan of a lithium battery is 18-24 moths. If you condition it when you get it, and chasrge it at the 40%-60% point, you extent the lifespan. (My emergency "when the daily driver has to go into the shop" phone is 11 years old and has the OEM battery it came with - and they make better batteries these days.)

A lithium battery can be charged at 1C - that's the capacity of the battery - so the Note 3 battery could be safely charged at 3.2 Amps without shortening its life. What affects lifespan more is what voltage it's charged to (not at). But the lower the voltage it's charged to, the shorter the time until it needs to be recharged.

But with the stock 2 Amp charger, and the stock cable, the phone charges the battery at about 1,200 mA according to my measurements My USB hub charges it at about 450 mA. Either way is pretty safe for the lifespan of the battery. (And at about $15 for a new battery, it's not something to worry about in a $700 phone. Keep a zip-lock sandwich baggie in your pocket for the times you're caught in a downpour. Your suit may not mind getting washed while you wear it but your phone will.)

Upvote 0
The problem with that, Early, is that you don't know (not even the phone manufacturer does) whether the battery you get is new or it's been sitting on the battery manufacturer's shelf (or the store's shelf) for a few months. It can't hurt a new battery. It can make a battery that's been sitting for a few months last a lot longer. (The worst thing is buying a phone with a battery that's been sitting for 6 months or more and letting them set it up using that battery. Due to self-discharge, the battery is nearly dead to start with, which is a bad thing. Then they put a load on it and kill it further.)

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
@ElectronicEngineer,

Bearing in mind this thread is over six years old, I don't really understand the point you are trying to make.

:rolleyes:

Google, via a search about the advantages of slow vs fast charging of mobile phone batteries, just brought me to this thread and I thought that as a community service, the dodgy information in it should not be allowed to perpetuate.

Upvote 0
Well I'm very sorry to say that, in my opinion, taking two differing views, contained in one thread about a subject that dozens of other members have also made contributions to in many similar threads regarding battery life, does not justify the expression 'most contributors here', particularly when you have used one of, if not the, most respected contributors, not to mention Moderator, @EarlyMon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones