• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging For the First Time

SeattleYanksFan

Android Expert
Mar 1, 2010
USA
My Galaxy Nexus has finally arrived. First question is standard charging procedure to maximize battery life.

Typically, I do the following upon arrival of a new phone:

1) Plug in the phone and leave the phone off until it fully charges.
2) I'll turn it on, but leave it charging for another 2-3 hours.
3) I use the phone normally and run the battery down completely until the phone shuts itself off.
4) With the phone on or off, I'll fully charge it 2-3 hours past full.
5) Repeat Steps 3 and 4 about two more times until I start charging at will.

Given the feedback regarding sub-par battery life, I'm hoping to maximize whatever life I can get out of it, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

My Galaxy Nexus has finally arrived. First question is standard charging procedure to maximize battery life.

Typically, I do the following upon arrival of a new phone:

1) Plug in the phone and leave the phone off until it fully charges.
2) I'll turn it on, but leave it charging for another 2-3 hours.
3) I use the phone normally and run the battery down completely until the phone shuts itself off.
4) With the phone on or off, I'll fully charge it 2-3 hours past full.
5) Repeat Steps 3 and 4 about two more times until I start charging at will.

Given the feedback regarding sub-par battery life, I'm hoping to maximize whatever life I can get out of it, so any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

idk if there is an "official way" to do it but:

1) yup
2) never heard this
3) yup
4) #2
5) yup

Congrats on what I think is the best smartphone out to date! Enjoy it sir :D

Upvote 0
idk if there is an "official way" to do it but:

1) yup
2) never heard this
3) yup
4) #2
5) yup

Congrats on what I think is the best smartphone out to date! Enjoy it sir :D

Thanks! I'm excited. I imagine it will be quite the upgrade from my Incredible and, even to a degree, the RAZR I have had the last few days.

Regarding step 2, when I got my Incredible, the instructions said to charge the phone for 8 hours (or something) the first time. Then I saw Seidio recommends charging its batteries for 2-3 hours past full. I figured there was something to this extended charging past full. Perhaps not?

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Thanks! I'm excited. I imagine it will be quite the upgrade from my Incredible and, even to a degree, the RAZR I have had the last few days.

Regarding step 2, when I got my Incredible, the instructions said to charge the phone for 8 hours (or something) the first time. Then I saw Seidio recommends charging its batteries for 2-3 hours past full. I figured there was something to this extended charging past full. Perhaps not?

I came from the Inc as well. Had a bionic for 14 days.

The charging after full may be referring to what I called a bump charge with the Inc? which is a well documented issue/scenario. idk

Look forward to your impressions with it after the rzr :)

Upvote 0
I came from the Inc as well. Had a bionic for 14 days.

The charging after full may be referring to what I called a bump charge with the Inc? which is a well documented issue/scenario. idk

Look forward to your impressions with it after the rzr :)

Even though I haven't turned it on yet, my initial impression is it feels way better in the hand. I have said, and still stand by, that the RAZR design is very sleek and stylish, but it was uncomfortable to hold in the hand except when using in landscape mode.

Once I fire it up later and have a chance to explore ICS, I'm sure I'll have far more insight to offer.

As for the bump charge, I am aware of that concept, and used it from time to time with the Incredible. I don't think that's what HTC and Seidio were referring to, however. In any event, I'll probably turn this phone on after lunch. It's so hard looking at it sitting on my desk powered off!

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed that their battery isn't charging to 100%? I leave my phone on the charger over night and the past couple mornings I've woken up to 98% battery. I know HTC had a bug where once the phone hit 100% it stopped charging thus the battery would drain, does Sammy do something similar? I know it's only 2%, but I have a feeling that I'm not getting accurate reading because of this

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed that their battery isn't charging to 100%? I leave my phone on the charger over night and the past couple mornings I've woken up to 98% battery. I know HTC had a bug where once the phone hit 100% it stopped charging thus the battery would drain, does Sammy do something similar? I know it's only 2%, but I have a feeling that I'm not getting accurate reading because of this

Yup I think it does something similar. To protect the batt cell from over charging

Upvote 0

Have you tried a full calibration by letting the phone completely die and then completely charge powered off?

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people still do this.... Lithium Ion batteries require no conditioning!!! Letting your L-Ion battery go down to zero is bad for it!!!! Only NMH or NCd batteries have memory which require conditioning.

I thought they did require an initial conditioning/calibration? Then the rules provided in the link in the above post apply. Not so?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones