1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Charging for the first time

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by smint, Apr 22, 2010.

1. smint

smint Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Mechanical Engineer
    Chesterfield, UK
    I will be getting my new Desire while at work tomorrow, how long is it b est to charge it for the first time.

I don't want to only charge it for 4 hours there when it is best to do it for 12! Also can you use it during this first charge?

Just asking as I want the best battery life and didn't know if HTC had already done the battery' first charge for you.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. JayCee

JayCee Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Electronics Technician
    Bonny Scotland
    There is no best way of charging Li-ion batteries, they don't have the memory effect the old ni-cads suffered from.
    Just charge it until the phone indicates full charge.
    There's nothing to stop you using it while it's charging.

3. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Denmark
    Yeah, I got mine on Monday. I started using it as soon as it was charging and I think it was only in there for a couple of hours, so battery time wasn't great until I had the chance to give it a proper charge.
    Now, the battery seems just fine to me. I disable WIFI and GPS when I don't need them, I think that saves a lot of battery.

4. TedJ

TedJ Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    The battery is shipped with a 40-50% charge, as this level is best for long term storage.

My usual procedure with a new device is charge to full, then fully discharge to ensure the charging circuit is calibrated. After that feel free to top up when and where required, with a full charge/discharge cycle every month or so.

5. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    The instructions are to charge it for three hours, and only then switch it on for the first time.

I couldn't wait and switched it on immediately - and my battery life is pretty good.

Tags: