1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Charging issues in vehicle

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pbwhite, Sep 8, 2011.

1. pbwhite

pbwhite Member
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    I have an OEM Motorola charger. On the D3 several times, I have connected the D3 to the charger, and charged away.

Then when I turn the vehicle off and then back on, the charger is still connected, but the phone is NOT charging. If I unplug the charger and replug, it still isn't charging.

I have unplugged, then turned the screen off, and replugged, and on occasion that has started the charging again, but I haven't figured out a specific solution that works every time.

Another issue is that it gets really hot when this happens. Anyone else seen this behavior and/or have a solution?

Advertisement

2. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    its possible it could be your car specifically. maybe your car overloads it or something. does it happen in another car? Also have you tried exchanging that OEM charger for another?

As for the battery getting hot, i dont have my D3 yet but it has happend to me with phones in the past, i would venture to say its normal. Now when you say hot do you mean ''warm to the touch which is normally cool for a phone" or hot as in "its leaving third degree burns on my face'' ?

3. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    the phone does get pretty warm. If you are using the car charger while playing music, using the GPS or doing anything except charging it, yes it will get VERY warm, almost hot. Car chargers are rapid chargers generally, so they pump more juice into the phone, which makes it warm.

It is normal, and I would not worry about it.

Download Gauge Battery Widget. It tells u the temp of your phone in the drop down plus gives you the battery power left on the top of your phone screen.

What you think is hot, could be under 100 degrees which is fine. Even 104 is ok. Hope this helps.

(I can't answer the thing about how your car doesnt charge the phone when u turn it off and on. My GUESS is that you have an issue with the socket you are plugged into to charge the phone).

4. SecretAgentMan

None

Aug 24, 2011
    I had a related issue, not exactly the same as yours, but close.

I tried charging my D3 in my car using a Seidio adapter in the cigarette lighter hole, with the stock USB cable. The D3 would not charge. I tried several cigarette lighter adapters and cables with no luck. I came to the conclusion that the car was not putting out sufficient amperage from the cigarette lighter to charge the D3, although I could be wrong.

I solved my issue by using a USB connection in the console. I plugged a USB cable directly into the USB port and have had no issues charging.

FWIW, I've seen another thread somewhere with someone complaining that he couldn't charge as well. It's weird in your case that it started off working ok but then stopped.

5. pbwhite

pbwhite Member
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Will download the battery widget to check on temp. The charger/car combo work with my D1, but will check out my wife's D3, and also try the charger in our other vehicle to see if I can iron out the issues.

6. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    good luck!