• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging Issues

Rhyno86

Lurker
Jan 20, 2014
I have a Galaxy S3 AT&T that I have recently rebooted to factory, not rooted.
As I was sitting in my chair last night, I plugged my phone in to the charger as I always do. The phone made the familiar bleep letting me know the charger had been connected and charging. A minute later, it bleeped again like it had been disconnected and reconnected. Nothing moved: the phone, charger, and cord are all stationary. I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so I disconnected and reconnected the charger. Bleep. Then, a minute later, bleep. Another minute later, bleep. ten minutes went by, ten bleeps.
I pulled the battery for 2 minutes, put it back in, reconnected the charger, and left the phone turned off as it was bedtime anyways.
Came down this morning, the green LED was lit and the battery symbol onscreen indicated 100% charge when I pressed the home button (keep in mind the phone is still turned off at this time). I disconnected the charger and turned the phone on. After booting, the percentage indicator now tells me the phone has only 47% charge.
I had been having issues with the phone not charging completely overnight, so I did the factory reset. It doesn't seem to have solved the problem, though. Any ideas as to what I can do to get it to charge? The most confusing part is where it indicated 100% when turned off, but only 47% after booting.

It could be dirt in the charging port (good luck finding it, even with a magnifying glass and a strong light) or a bad battery (which would have to be tested over a 24 hour period).

You can try wiggling the cord a little when it's plugged in. If you hear anything, take the charger out and get the charger port resoldered. At least one contact isn't soldered completely and it's eventually going to cause failure of the port and the board it's soldered to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones