• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Charging paused, battery temperature too low"

SyrupBottle

Jul 31, 2012
U.S.
So I had to take my S3 apart last night to pry the power switch off of the logic board due to the boot loop problem, but after I got it back together I noticed the battery temperature says -20C. I hadn't needed to charge it until tonight though, and now it refuses to charge because of the "Charging paused, battery temperature too low" message.

I really don't have the money for a new logic board right now, so is there a way to just disable that feature and charge my phone anyway? I have root, if it it helps. I just need something to get me by until I can upgrade my phone altogether. Nobody in town seems to sell a battery charger, so that option won't work for me either.

so is there a way to just disable that feature and charge my phone anyway? I have root, if it it helps. Nobody in town seems to sell a battery charger, so that option won't work for me either.

Pry is never really something you want to hear when talking about circuit boards, you may have physically damaged some traces. You need to desolder and remove these types of things. Charging the battery while the temp is too high or to low would result in an explosion, so I would assume no such modification has ever been made to an android phone. I also believe this the battery charging is controlled by hardware not software.

The only real advice I can give is try to clean the contacts on the battery and in the phone (not with water lol), the sensor is inside the battery.

If that does not work, your only option will probably be to buy an external charger off of Amazon.

Reactions: dmcjr22
Upvote 0
I found a way around it. I've had to use the Custom OS menu to turn on my phone without a power button by holding Volume Down + Home immediately after plugging it in and holding until the screen shows, and my phone seems to charge while in it, so I'm posting this for anyone who Googles my issue and needs a temporary solution. Just leave it in that menu (should look like this) for however long it usually takes to charge (1-2 hours for me), then hit Volume Down to simply restart the phone.

Upvote 0
Now in my mind this raises the question of what other safety features are being ignored? If the phone can not read the temp it may not slow down when it needs to. But does it even check the voltage level of the battery? If it does not go into trickle charge it could have explosive results, especially if left on overnight.

Seriously I would keep it away from flammables while charging. If you ever hear hissing or feel its abnormally warm get away quick. Even if you overcharge it now, it may not blow up till later. You are playing with fire because temperature while charging does matter.

Upvote 0
Guys, I have a different phone, with different battery-charging-problems. But it seems the battery charging circuits are very similar: There is a "hardware" charging circuit that by default charges whenever possible. The main CPU in the phone (i.e. android) can overrule this, to "no charging" or "high-speed-AC-charging".

So... powering up, and keeping the phone in a boot menu, will let it charge safely at USB-speeds (max 0.5A). The chip will respect the "4.2V max LIPO voltage". Yes, android will overrule the charging by the chip when it's too cold. There is also "too hot". I don't think there are many other cases where the hardware chip is too dumb not to know about it. So, as long as you're charging at temperatures that YOU are comfortable with, the LIPO will be fine.

Upvote 0
The main CPU in the phone (i.e. android) can overrule this, to "no charging" or "high-speed-AC-charging".

So... powering up, and keeping the phone in a boot menu, will let it charge safely at USB-speeds
Just to clarify because I sent someone to this thread today for the fix, This information is wrong and it can not be safely charged without reading temp!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones