1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Charging phone whilst switched on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by moggie, Jun 13, 2020.

1. moggie

moggie Newbie

Hi

May I ask a further question - everyone was very helpful when I first got this phone.

Will it charge when it is switched on or must I switch it off always first? So far I have only charged it when it os off and it takes about 80 minutes to charge to 100% from say 9% full.

I use a 2 amp? charger which did not come with the phone.

Thanks

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

charger did not come with one? was this a used phone?

and yes you can leave the phone on and it will charge just fine.

dontpanicbobby, Dannydet and Hadron like this.
  3. moggie

moggie Newbie

Yes - it was a refurbished phone - looked new as it had all the plastic screen coverings and it works perfectly. It came with the charging lead only so I use the Huawei charger from my tablet. The charger gets slightly warm (not hot) and goes cold as soon as it is charged if I leave it plugged in. This seems to be ok?

Thanks for quick reply

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

yep should be fine. charging will always create some heat....no way around that. so things should get warm but not hot.

.....so you are good to go;)

Hadron likes this.
  5. moggie

moggie Newbie

Thanks again

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

no worries

7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

-- Yes, you should power off your phone when charging it. The charging circuitry will be able to function in a more optimal setting when the phone is powered off. But here in the real world we all have other things going on all the time so it's just not practical to do everything in such a manner. Most of us just plug our phones in when the battery needs a charge up, and for the most part that's quite adequate. So don't worry if you do or don't power off your phone, that's a minor point. Just keeping your battery continuously charged up is the biggest factor to help its overall life span.
    -- Taking 80 minutes to charge the battery that much is a typical amount of time. Any battery that's in it single digits of capacity is going to take a while to charge up, and it's important to also take into consideration that your phone is over five years old and as smartphone batteries age it's not just that they don't hold a charge as well they also take longer to charge back up. It's unavoidable. (Unless you've had the original battery replaced with new one at some point):
    https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3_compact-6538.php
    -- Your phone most likely came with a 5 volt/1 amp adapter, that's the default charger that most manufacturers were including at that time. If you're using a 2 amp charger, keep using that one. It's not going to hurt anything and the battery is going to charge up faster than if you use that older 1 amp adapter.

ocnbrze likes this.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Forum

The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact release date was September 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.6" inch screen, 20MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

September 2014
Release Date
Reviews