• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging problem... grr

CowboyDan

Jan 17, 2011
Ever since installing Cyanogen I've had nothing but problems... this one seems terminal :(

Since flashing with Cyanogen charging has been strange. It would get up to 99% but NEVER get to 100% and say 'please disconnect your charger' like it used to. The battery percentage was also all over the shop, sometimes going down by huge amount in a short time and sometimes even going up while the phone wasn't connected to a charger. That was no big deal, I just figured the battery monitoring code in Cyanogen was crap. But lately the phone has been dropping in charge while connected to a USB port. Usually not by much, it just wouldn't seem to charge (the battery indicator would stay at a certain spot instead of moving like it does when it charges, but the little lightning bolt still displays) but sometimes it would drop by large amounts. It seemed to happen when the laptop power cord was disconnected, like the laptop was drawing power from the phone (which is impossible over USB).

Last night I plugged my phone in, charge was at 80%. When I woke up in the morning, charge had dropped to 12%. I plugged my laptop power cord in, came back a few hours later, and charge had dropped to 8%. So I unplugged the USB cord, plugged it back in and went to work. I just got home and the phone has powered off, and will not power back on. I've removed the USB cord at both ends, changed USB ports on my laptop, tried on a different computer, removed and replaced the battery, NOTHING works.

I've been getting the arse with cyanogen lately since this gt540 version was so far from finished, and with the news it wasn't supported I was going to try reflashing with a 2.1 rom. But now I can't power my phone up at all.

Any ideas??

Excluding the usb charging issue I have the same behaviour with official 2.1 Rom (Charging up to 99%, instant battery ups and downs etc) so it mast be a general android issue with battery monitor but it is very common for every mobile device, you can see it in laptops and even in regular mobile phones, but the problem with the phone not charging at all might be caused from low usb power supply (usb version 1 instead of usb 2 maybe ) Try to charge your phone from an electricity socket (excuse my English but you know what i mean ) if it still doesn't charge then it could be a hardware issue, can you find an other charger to test your phone with ?

Upvote 0
I have 2.1 and I notice that I do have some weird drops and ups in my battery power. I have never had a drastic drop though. It also never reaches 100% when charging.

I recommend not charging via USB. My friend who works at a phone company advised me to only charge using the wall charger.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions guys but this is definitely an issue with the phone... I have tested the cable for continuity and it's fine, plus I've tested my USB ports and they're outputting the right numbers.. I don't have a wall socket adaptor (lost the LG one) but since my usb ports are delivering 500mA @ 5V like they're supposed to, they should be charging the phone just fine.

For some reason the phone has just stopped accepting a charge and I'm damned if I can figure out why :(

Upvote 0
IT'S A MIRACLE!!!

After three days of my phone being hooked up to usb and not taking a charge, all of a sudden it powered itself on (another problem since I installed cyanogen - the phone boots itself if i switch it off while charging) about an hour ago and is now at 40%.

I have no idea what is going on here, it seems like I have a prototype artificial intelligence GT540 that LG just accidentally put into a box and sent out for sale. Seriously, this phone has a mind of it's own.

Maybe I should send it back......... :p Or I could keep it and use it to create a network of super phones to take over the world.... muahahahah!

Upvote 0
Oh but I CAN boot it into download mode... I just can't seem to do anything with it now :(

adb can't find the device, windows doesn't recognize it at all. KDZ_FW_UPD doesn't see it.

UPDATE: I tried to re-flash a few times and finally managed to get the LG logo to show up, but the phone gets stuck there. I have re-flashed dozens of times using the vodafone rom and it will show the lg logo, then the vodafone logo but get stuck there. Flashing in emergency mode doesn't work very well, it goes through the motions but KDZ crashes and I get an update error code 6, while the phone keeps doing the same things. Flashing in CS_EMERGENCY mode finishes successfully without errors, but still no change in the phone's behaviour.

Download mode loads, fastboot mode does not. Flashing in download mode in any of the KDZ modes doesn't work (still the same problem). I've scoured the net and found a few posts on modaco with the same problems, and I have tried every 'fix' that's posted but I still get as far as the vodafone screen and that's it.

Upvote 0
Oh but I CAN boot it into download mode... I just can't seem to do anything with it now :(

adb can't find the device, windows doesn't recognize it at all. KDZ_FW_UPD doesn't see it.

UPDATE: I tried to re-flash a few times and finally managed to get the LG logo to show up, but the phone gets stuck there. I have re-flashed dozens of times using the vodafone rom and it will show the lg logo, then the vodafone logo but get stuck there. Flashing in emergency mode doesn't work very well, it goes through the motions but KDZ crashes and I get an update error code 6, while the phone keeps doing the same things. Flashing in CS_EMERGENCY mode finishes successfully without errors, but still no change in the phone's behaviour.

Download mode loads, fastboot mode does not. Flashing in download mode in any of the KDZ modes doesn't work (still the same problem). I've scoured the net and found a few posts on modaco with the same problems, and I have tried every 'fix' that's posted but I still get as far as the vodafone screen and that's it.

If you can get the phone to show the LG logo, plug it in and as soon as the LG logo appears, start the update in normal mode not CS_EMERGENCY mode, try the same when the Vodafone logo comes up if it doesn't work?

Hope it helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones