• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging the battery the first few times

Trauma

Jul 28, 2010
So a friend told me this who has had the X since release day and i was curious how true it was.

He told me that for the first 10 charges of the battery or so, i should not plug the phone in until the battery is 100% dead.

He said to let it fully run out and fully recharge, not to leave the phone plugged in while using it.

Will this actually increase battery life in the long run or is this bogus?

So a friend told me this who has had the X since release day and i was curious how true it was.

He told me that for the first 10 charges of the battery or so, i should not plug the phone in until the battery is 100% dead.

He said to let it fully run out and fully recharge, not to leave the phone plugged in while using it.

Will this actually increase battery life in the long run or is this bogus?

10splaya22 is exactly right. I've read that routinely letting a lithium ion battery go below about 20% charge can short shorten the lifespan of the battery. Tell your friend he is operating off of drastically outdated info, that technique dates back to nicad batteries. Google for things like: --lithium ion battery care charge discharge cycle-- You will find out more than you ever wanted to know.

Upvote 0
Initially you should fully charge up your battery and then do a full drain. This doesn't change the performance of the Li-ion battery, rather what it does is calibrate the on board battery monitors. It is important to keep your battery monitors accurately calibrated because they act as a fail safe switch that forces your phone to shut down before your battery gets below the minimum charge levels where permanent damage may occur. That is why you should conduct a full battery change/discharge cycle once you get your phone and about once every month.

Reactions: PerCompLLC
Upvote 0
Initially you should fully charge up your battery and then do a full drain. This doesn't change the performance of the Li-ion battery, rather what it does is calibrate the on board battery monitors. It is important to keep your battery monitors accurately calibrated because they act as a fail safe switch that forces your phone to shut down before your battery gets below the minimum charge levels where permanent damage may occur. That is why you should conduct a full battery change/discharge cycle once you get your phone and about once every month.

Completely agree. Verizon does not tell you to fully charge the battery before the first use, but if you get the battery replaced from Motorola, on their box it states that it is "very important" to fully charge the battery before first use. Also, it is true that these batteries are adversely affected by draining them completely. There are far too many people telling others to do just that, and they are hurting them. Draining the battery once to allign the battery meter is good advice, however.

Upvote 0
I'm amazed at the battery life on this phone. Stock battery, normal usage, setup tweaked for battery savings and 42 hours and going strong. Of course you have to wonder at the stats when the phone can't add properly...

snap20100804_085653.png

(I can't believe this forum doesn't allow uploading files as big as the phone's screen.)

I agree, Li-Ion batteries don't like a full discharge, The phone will switch off before it gets critical. If you leave the battery discharged in the phone for months, it will further discharge and ruin the battery. Don't store batteries in the phone for long periods.

Upvote 0
I'm amazed at the battery life on this phone. Stock battery, normal usage, setup tweaked for battery savings and 42 hours and going strong. Of course you have to wonder at the stats when the phone can't add properly...

snap20100804_085653.png

(I can't believe this forum doesn't allow uploading files as big as the phone's screen.)

I agree, Li-Ion batteries don't like a full discharge, The phone will switch off before it gets critical. If you leave the battery discharged in the phone for months, it will further discharge and ruin the battery. Don't store batteries in the phone for long periods.

How long has your display been on for? Can't be more than 5 hours.

Upvote 0

snap20100804_085653.png

what app is that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones