1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Charging Time for Razr

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by teslas, Jan 10, 2012.

1. teslas

teslas Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    So my wife got her Droid Razr. I have noticed that the thing charges very slowly (4+ hours with wall charger). Is this normal? Or should we be seeing the battery charge faster?

-What is your charging rate (wheather stock charger or aftermarket)

On another note, I found a 9 dollar charger at frys that claims to be able to charge most phones in around 1 hr (I htink it might be more realistic to 1.5), but the point is...shouldn't the phone be charging faster the 4-5 hrs? And no, i could not find the voltage or AMP rating on the charger (have not bought it yet).

Advertisement

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Not a good idea to use a fast charger as it destroys the battery faster than slow charge ones. Just try and take up the habit of charging the phone overnight, it will not matter how longit takes then.

3. willis1

willis1 Newbie
    None

Nov 19, 2011
    Seems that the first couple charges on my razr took pretty long too, but since then it usually charges in a couple hours tops. I just bought my wife a razr too and her first charge today took forever. So maybe it will start charging faster after a couple cycles.

4. teslas

teslas Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Thanks Szadzik. We always do charge our phones overnight. It's just that she needed to charge her phone during the day today and the charging took forever. Seems her battery died pretty quickly while sitting on her desk for most of the morning.

5. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    I see. Also remeber, that you do not have to charge the phone to full again. Just charge it up as much as you need for now, it will even be better for you batery.

6. 9416501118

9416501118 Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    I've found that by using the supplied AC/USB cable and shutting the phone off, it charges much faster.

7. jtcannonball

jtcannonball Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    So the whole charge a battery completely before using adage is a pretty big deal online. So what do you do when you buy one at Verizon and they turn it on and start using it before you can get it home to charge? Or is it don't charge at all until you can charge it completely?

8. BeastMD

BeastMD Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 11, 2010
    The types of batteries in phones today work fine being charged pretty much all you want, the phone controls how the batteries charge. Quick charges cant force more charge than the phone can accept as the phone will only draw as much as it can handle. The only thing that that could reduce the battery is constantly dropping it very low but most phones wont let it get close to a 0 charge.

The whole charge to full the first time is probably for the initial setup so the phone wont die in the middle of something during setup and calibation. If it comes at 40% or more you are fine to set it up and use it until later.

You should let it run down pretty low occasionally not for the battery per se but so the phone has decent calibration for that battery.

Todays batteries have a finite number of full charges, usually around 750 to 1000, so if you let it get so low that the phone shuts off that is a full charge the next time you charge it to 100. However if you let it get to 50% then charge that only counts as a half charge.

There is alot of bad info about batteries these days because the old conventions for old batteries persist. But todays rechargeable battery is not the battery of the past. For example NiCd batteries used to have a memory effect so if you charged it when it was half full all the time eventually you would only get that half charge life out of it, although even that was disputed because it would only happen with a tightly controlled charge cycle.

9. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    I agree with everything beastMD said and there is a ton of excellent info on how to optimize our batteries at http://batteryuniversity.com

10. HTTR

HTTR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Male
    Virginia
    Any harm in charging from the USB port on my laptop? **looks over and sees the phone connected via USB port in the laptop***

I also never let the thing charge much under 50% before I plug it in...probably wrong as well

11. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have charged from laptop USB for years and is not a problem. Only thing is that it will charge more slowly due to USB being limited to 500mAh.

12. netlawbmg

netlawbmg Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2011
    See above
    Los Angeles
    Using the charger that came with the Razr, I have found that it generally charges 10% in approximatly 15 minutes. So if the battery is down to 50%, it will take 1.25 hours.

Barry